Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Fenugreek and Kombucha

Posted by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 12:41 AM
  • 14 Replies

I got some fenugreek tonight, but could only find it in non vegetarian friendly gel caps. Do you think I could open the capsules and sprinkle it on my food/in my smoothies along with the brewer's yeast? Also, how many capsules a day should I use?

I was also thinking of starting to drink Kombucha, but have read conflicting thinks about drinking it while breastfeeding. Does anyone here drink it? Do you know if it helps with milk supply at all? 

by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 12:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 2, 2013 at 12:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm seeing indications that Dr. Hales gives kombucha a big NO. Call the InfantRisk hotline to verify. 806-352-2519. In the meantime, don't drink it.

You can use the fenugreek that way. HOWEVER... if you're already changing the right number of dipes per day, then consider returning the stuff. It won't do a thing for perfect supply.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Nov. 2, 2013 at 1:50 AM
Really? I drank kumbacha while nursing. So have some friends of mine.

Quoting gdiamante:

I'm seeing indications that Dr. Hales gives kombucha a big NO. Call the InfantRisk hotline to verify. 806-352-2519. In the meantime, don't drink it.

You can use the fenugreek that way. HOWEVER... if you're already changing the right number of dipes per day, then consider returning the stuff. It won't do a thing for perfect supply.

momma_gig
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Idk who Dr. Hales is, but my cousin is the one who recommended Kombucha. She drank it all through her pregnancies and while breastfeeding, but she started drinking it before getting pregnant, so her body was used to it. I'm not sure about the effects on starting while BF'ing. I haven't tried it yet, though. It smells awful! I'm not sure I WANT to drink it LOL

And I'm taking the fenugreek via recommendation of a friend. I want to be a milk donor but can't pump enough, so I'm trying to double my supply. My friend did the same thing (and had a good supply to begin with) and is now making enough milk to feed twins/triplets! LOL

Quoting gdiamante:

momma_gig
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I have a friend who drank it through her pregnancies and while BF'ing, but she was drinking it before getting pregnant. Were you drinking it before BF'ing? Because it takes a little bit for your body to get used to it, from what I hear. So that's why I'm questioning whether or not I should start while BF'ing...

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting gdiamante:

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Nov. 2, 2013 at 12:33 PM
No, but i didnt drink it regularly, it was only a hand full of times here and there.

Quoting momma_gig:

I have a friend who drank it through her pregnancies and while BF'ing, but she was drinking it before getting pregnant. Were you drinking it before BF'ing? Because it takes a little bit for your body to get used to it, from what I hear. So that's why I'm questioning whether or not I should start while BF'ing...

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting gdiamante:

momma_gig
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Oh I see. She was drinking it daily. 

Quoting Precious333:

No, but i didnt drink it regularly, it was only a hand full of times here and there.

Quoting momma_gig:

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting gdiamante:

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Nov. 2, 2013 at 12:52 PM
I do have friends who make and drink it, but maybe they built up to it.

Quoting momma_gig:

Oh I see. She was drinking it daily. 

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting momma_gig:

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting gdiamante:

Jenalex04
by Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I drink kombucha, not all the time. There is nothing wrong with it as long as your baby doesn't have a reaction to it. Every baby is unique in what it reacts to so you really won't know until you try it. I never noticed if it increased supply because I wasn't paying attention to that. One issue is that you also want to drink a lot of water with it because it helps to make you regular and you will pee more water out just like with caffeine. So stay hydrated. :)

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Nov. 2, 2013 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I *believe* Dr Hale categorizes kombucha as an L5 due to the fact that the tea acts like a detoxifying agent. There have been very serious side effects and even death associated with drinking it. I most certainly wouldn't drink it, especially not while nursing.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Nov. 2, 2013 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Dr Hale is THE authority on medications and breastfeeding. He is the doctor who doctors call when they want to know the actual research regarding the risks and benefits of a medication for a breastfeeding mother. Very rarely does he ever advise using a particular medication so when he does, it's serious.

Quoting momma_gig:

Idk who Dr. Hales is, but my cousin is the one who recommended Kombucha. She drank it all through her pregnancies and while breastfeeding, but she started drinking it before getting pregnant, so her body was used to it. I'm not sure about the effects on starting while BF'ing. I haven't tried it yet, though. It smells awful! I'm not sure I WANT to drink it LOL

And I'm taking the fenugreek via recommendation of a friend. I want to be a milk donor but can't pump enough, so I'm trying to double my supply. My friend did the same thing (and had a good supply to begin with) and is now making enough milk to feed twins/triplets! LOL

Quoting gdiamante:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN