Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I got some fenugreek tonight, but could only find it in non vegetarian friendly gel caps. Do you think I could open the capsules and sprinkle it on my food/in my smoothies along with the brewer's yeast? Also, how many capsules a day should I use?

I was also thinking of starting to drink Kombucha, but have read conflicting thinks about drinking it while breastfeeding. Does anyone here drink it? Do you know if it helps with milk supply at all? 

by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 12:41 AM
Replies (11-14):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 2, 2013 at 7:41 PM

As Stacy has already noted, Dr. Hale (Hale's is his book) is the authority; getting info from him is like getting the Ten Commandments from Moses himself. What I'm finding about Kombucha isn't real clear, so I'd leave it out till I could contact the InfantRisk center and get clarification. It *may* be OK, but since there's a question it's better to skip and get the straight scoop from the expert.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 10:52 PM
I have seen kombucha in health food stores but didn't know what it was. Is bacterial contamination the reason for concern?
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 2, 2013 at 11:10 PM

I believe so, and it's supposed to cleanse. NPR did a story on this stuff a couple of weeks ago, and it sounds awful to me!

DH bought a few bottles a couple of months ago, because someone told him it was great. He took one sip and ran for the bathroom! Poured it out. I have a couple of unopened bottles still in the fridge!

Quoting MusherMaggie:

I have seen kombucha in health food stores but didn't know what it was. Is bacterial contamination the reason for concern?

kcangel63
by Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 11:15 PM
I'm not a huge kombucha fan (have a jar of scobys in my kitchen). However, I love kefir (water). I'm pregnant & nursing. I haven't drank kefir soda in months. Does he say anything about it?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)