Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

10 month old don't need to eat every hour...

Posted by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 1:24 PM
  • 19 Replies
Ugh. I was just told that my 10 month old doesn't need to eat at night every time he wakes up. They know nothing about me or my kid or my situation. He is teething and going through a growth spurt. So yes one night he woke me up over 5 times. So. He usually only sleeps 4 hours, then 2 hours, then wakes me up every hour. He hates sleep and naps. It doesn't mean I shouldn't feed on demand. In the morning he likes to nurse every hour for 5 minutes. I think is his way of naturally fighting my oal. So. He is a big kid. So what. He is fine. I really don't care how many pediatricians told you your baby doesn't need to eat that much. They don't know my kid.

Sorry, had to vent. I don't think it would have bothered me except she said maybe I should get my milk checked. Maybe he isnt getting enough. So many moms get such bad advice for other moms and pedis. It makes me so sad. If I wasn't a seasoned nurser I might have really worried about that comment!

Btw thanks to this group I know better!

Just out of curiousity does/did your 10 month old nurse often?
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AspensMama1537
by Bronze Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 1:28 PM
Oh and my son was 20.5 lbs and 29.75" at his 9 months appointment. He was born at 6lbs 12oz and 20 inches, 3 weeks early. And spent 2 weeks in the nicu. (I honestly think he wakes so much at night because of bad dreams of the nicu.)
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Nov. 2, 2013 at 1:34 PM
My daughter woke up 3-4 times a night to nurse at that age. Just keep ignoring those who tell you not to. It's none of their business anyway. Your son has no recollection of the NICU and isn't having bad dreams about being in there. He is just waking up for nourishment and comfort, which is completely normal.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Nov. 2, 2013 at 1:36 PM
Yeah, unfortunately there are many.people with uneducated and poor advice :(
AspensMama1537
by Bronze Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Thanks. No matter when or where he is sleeping he wakes up crying out. It breaks my heart. I hope he doesn't remember.

Quoting stepconfused182:

My daughter woke up 3-4 times a night to nurse at that age. Just keep ignoring those who tell you not to. It's none of their business anyway. Your son has no recollection of the NICU and isn't having bad dreams about being in there. He is just waking up for nourishment and comfort, which is completely normal.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I didn't even discuss sleeping or eating habits weith my pediatrician. He once asked (tongue-in-cheek) if DD slept through the night. I told him yes, she sleeps and eats all night!

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

LilliesValley
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 2:09 PM

how can he be a bigger baby but you need to get your milk checked, how absurd.

my mom said she thought i was carrying, holding dd who is 3 weeks too much, i just laughed and said well they're only little for a little while.

LilliesValley
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 2:11 PM

I swear this is going to have to be my approach if the new ped doesn't work out but it saddens me that that is necessary.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

I didn't even discuss sleeping or eating habits weith my pediatrician. He once asked (tongue-in-cheek) if DD slept through the night. I told him yes, she sleeps and eats all night!

Lzabierek
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Can't say anything. My ds (almost 11 months) has been sleeping through the night since he was a month old.

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 2:25 PM
2 moms liked this

two of my 3 kids nursed all night long at 10 months old.

Funny how some people think there is something wrong with meeting your child's needs after the sun goes down. Last time I checked, my job as a mom is 24/7. Not that it is always easy, but who thought they signed up for easy when they had kids?

iSMILEheCRIES
by Bronze Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Want some sound baby advice, go to Walmart everyone is an expert there! Just smile at people and tell them they are right, that's what they want to hear
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)