Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Could this be the end?

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 4:54 AM
  • 14 Replies
Baby and I just hit the 7 month mark but my supply continues to dwindle down. My biggest problem is my pumping. I have a medela pump in style and have bought the smallest shields possible and they are still too big. Has anyone else had this issue and is there something else I can use to help? I was thinking about ordering the nipple shields, they come in one size smaller and thought maybe it would help but before I do that I figured I would ask. I really want to keep going so I pump at work but nurse when I'm home with baby.

And what are some things that you've done to increase supply? I've been taking fenugreek but don't see a benefit anymore.

This is my first, but also likely my only child.
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 4:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LilliesValley
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 5:02 AM
How often are you pumping and how long? Is baby bf at other times?
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Nov. 5, 2013 at 6:19 AM
Have you tried a manual pump? And is baby BF on demand? If you're only pumping at work, how much are you leaving baby when you are away and how much are you pumping during the day?
snm101
by New Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 10:27 AM
I pump every 5hrs for 30 mins during the day. If I pump sooner I get less in each sitting and less overall for the day.

What do you mean by manual pump? Sorry my first baby and I feel clueless. Baby nurses every three hours five times a day two of those times I feed cereal too. I get enough for three 4oz bottles and I have been supplementing with an additional 2oz of formula in each bottle.

So at daycare she has 3 six ounce bottles and cereal and I nurse her at dinner and bed.
ceckyl
by Kyla on Nov. 5, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Ok, so a couple major problems. The less often you pump, the less milk your body thinks it needs. You should be pumping ever 2 hours, regardless of how much you get. Less often = less milk. Next, baby is being way over fed. A bottle should never be bigger than 3 oz.

Quoting snm101:

I pump every 5hrs for 30 mins during the day. If I pump sooner I get less in each sitting and less overall for the day.

What do you mean by manual pump? Sorry my first baby and I feel clueless. Baby nurses every three hours five times a day two of those times I feed cereal too. I get enough for three 4oz bottles and I have been supplementing with an additional 2oz of formula in each bottle.

So at daycare she has 3 six ounce bottles and cereal and I nurse her at dinner and bed.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Nov. 5, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Are you gone for 18 hrs? If not, she's getting way too much in the bottles. Bf babies should never get more than 3 to 4 oz in a bottle, ever. It should always be fed slowly, using a newborn nipple. She should be getting 1-1.25 oz per hour of separation from you, so if you're gone 8 hours, exoect to send 8 to 10 oz of milk to daycare. You need to be pumping every 3 hrs while away from her to tell your body to continue to make milk. If the every 3 hrs nursing while you're together is feeding on demand that's fine, but if it's a schedule that you have implemented, go back to feeding on demand.

Quoting snm101:

MidwestMama55
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Don't get this. My son ate 7-8 ounces at every feeding. He is now grown, super tall and very thin. Bottle never bigger than 3 oz - would not have worked for us.

Quoting ceckyl:

Ok, so a couple major problems. The less often you pump, the less milk your body thinks it needs. You should be pumping ever 2 hours, regardless of how much you get. Less often = less milk. Next, baby is being way over fed. A bottle should never be bigger than 3 oz.

Quoting snm101:

snm101
by New Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Yeah every 3 hrs is her demand but she sleeps 9p to 7a. So she eats 6oz breakfast, cereal + 4oz lunch, 6oz afternoon, cereal + nurse for dinner and nurse for bed.

I pump in am, and 2x at work so when I get home 530-6pm ish is time for her dinner.

I can try to pump more, but my problem is I don't get a good yeilds because my shields are too big and they are the smallest size you can buy. So essentially is like nursing with a bad latch so I'm not optimizing the process with pumping.

I thought about buying the nipple shields that women use for latch issues but maybe that wouldn't help. I can't be the only person on earth with small nipples.
ceckyl
by Kyla on Nov. 5, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Was your son breasted?
Bottle fed babies are notoriously over fed.

Quoting MidwestMama55:Don't get this. My son ate 7-8 ounces at every feeding. He is now grown, super tall and very thin. Bottle never bigger than 3 oz - would not have worked for us.
Quoting ceckyl:Ok, so a couple major problems. The less often you pump, the less milk your body thinks it needs. You should be pumping ever 2 hours, regardless of how much you get. Less often = less milk. Next, baby is being way over fed. A bottle should never be bigger than 3 oz.

Quoting snm101:I pump every 5hrs for 30 mins during the day. If I pump sooner I get less in each sitting and less overall for the day.

MidwestMama55
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Breastmilk from a bottle.  He was not overfed, he was just hungry. Was always a long/tall baby/kid.

Quoting ceckyl:

Was your son breasted?
Bottle fed babies are notoriously over fed.

Quoting MidwestMama55:Don't get this. My son ate 7-8 ounces at every feeding. He is now grown, super tall and very thin. Bottle never bigger than 3 oz - would not have worked for us.
Quoting ceckyl:Ok, so a couple major problems. The less often you pump, the less milk your body thinks it needs. You should be pumping ever 2 hours, regardless of how much you get. Less often = less milk. Next, baby is being way over fed. A bottle should never be bigger than 3 oz.

Quoting snm101:I pump every 5hrs for 30 mins during the day. If I pump sooner I get less in each sitting and less overall for the day.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Also try cutting out cereal, babies should be at least 6 months old before solids. Now that she is getting solids she is telling your body to produce less because it has been replaced by cereal. And babies cannot digest grains until about one year, so rice cereal is doing more harm than good and also has been linked to anemia since it blocks the absorption of natural iron in breastmilk.

Quoting snm101:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)