Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

teeth & nursing

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:52 AM
  • 4 Replies

I am terrified of getting bit when DD teeth come in!! How many moms have gotten bit & how did you deal with it?

*_live.laugh.love_*

by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Mama_Pollito
by Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Dont be afraid, I could happen but it usually happens when the baby already stopped eating and sometimes because they are teething, but it always is when they stopped eating and this is why : " When babies are nursing they put their tongue above the lower gums to make suction and be able to make the milk to come out of the nipple, so when they bite they are done eating otherwise they would bite themselves first". So to prevent that, when you see that your baby already stopped eating ( there is longer period between sucking, pulling away and then latching again, take the baby off, if is showing that still wants to nurse, keep nursing and when she stops sucking take her off again...And if she happens to just bite you right after she is done, take her off your breast and tell her NO! Dont bite. Be firm with the no ( of course no yelling) and when you try to nurse her again if she bites you one more time, do the same thing, take her off and tell her no! if she wants to latch again after she bite you , let her but once again everytime she bite take her off usally by the 3rd time the get it and they stop biting. Good Luck :)

Smokeygirl
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I only got bit once. I yelped, he cried and he never bit me again. Well- never bit me on the boobie again- he keeps biting shoulders and hair and clothing :/

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 5, 2013 at 1:16 PM
Not all babies bite. If you do get bit, you teach her that biting = no nursing. She can't bite while actively nursing. Watch for signs that she is done, bored, and/or playing and take her off before she gets the chance to bite.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 5, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Never bitten once. Seems more moms DON't get bit than do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)