Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I think she's about done

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:39 AM
  • 5 Replies

DD2 is now 17 months old and I think she is almost done breastfeeding. My goal was for her to at least get to 18 months. So close! I got pregnant unexpectedly and now I'm about 14 weeks. She was still going strong until yesterday. Every time she latched on, she would suck once and then come off and cry. I know my supply has dropped quite a bit since I got pregnant, but that hasn't bothered her before so I'm thinking it must be something else. Flavor maybe? I don't know. Anyway, she asked to nurse again this morning and it was the same thing. Only this time she was really upset. She has always been a major comfort nurser and it makes me sad that it isn't doing that for her anymore.

by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 5, 2013 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this

You've done great. And don't call it done till she hasn't even tried for two weeks. She could change her mind in the next five minutes.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 5, 2013 at 1:47 PM
There is nothing wrong with continuing to offer. She could go back at any time. My son refused for over a month before he went to nursing only before bed every night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this
She may also have renewed interest when your new baby arrives.
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Nov. 5, 2013 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this
My son was 16 months when I get pregnant and for one week he would latch on for a minute or two, unlatch and say help, latch himself back on and do breast compressions to bring the milk out for a minute or two, that was at about 15 weeks I believe. After that he went back to nursing normally without a complaint and I'm now tandem-nursing my 26 month annd 5 week old sons. :-) If you're concerned about supply, try mother milk 2 by motherlove, intended for pregnant breastfeeding mothers. As you said, it may be change in taste, but that might be worth a try. 17 months is still great, kudos mama!
princess_peach
by Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 12:16 AM
Thanks everyone! I am happy we have made it this long really. (Especially since all the family started the rude comments the day after she turned 1). I am mostly just sad that it makes her sad right now. I'll let her keep trying as long as she wants to. I just hope we can find something that comforts her whether it's nursing or something else.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN