Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

i need advice

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:45 AM
  • 5 Replies
ok.. my daughter is 7 weeks old... and idk if she is getting enough from my breasts... since day one ive supplement... but I got it to were she didn't really need a bottle... maybe like an ounce... well now shes getting frustrated... and wont stay latched long so I try for as long as I can... then I end up giving her a bottle :/ and my nipples hurt... she latches good when she actually latches... but on those days she just wants to be latched all day... cause its caused nipple soreness... what do I do... what can I do? ive been drinking more and more water.. but im lost n what to do... ive already nursed longer with her than I did with my son.. any advice??
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Mama_Pollito
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 12:31 PM

you need to ask you a question first... Do you want to be exclusive on breastfeeding? or Do you want to keep supplementing ? the thing is whe the babies are that young and you are introducing breast ans bottles they can get nipple confusiong, because is no te same when they suck on a silicone nipple than the real thing, with the bottle they dont put their tongue muscles to work as much as they do when they are breastfeeding so they have to do less to get more milk, and that is when the frustation comes in when they try to get as much milk from the breast like when they take the bottle... The other thing is that everytime you give your baby formula you could have the risk of decreasing your milk supply, because the more you nurse your baby the more milk you will make.

if she wants to stay lacth all the time that may be a sign that she is confused on the feeling and she might be trying to let you know that she like the breast better than the bottle. When she is latched make sure her lips are flanged wide enough if you are experiencing a lot of pain, put some of your own milk on your nipples and let them air dry, or if they are really really bad and is very painful, take acetaminophen before each feeding or use lanolin.

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Can you clarify a few things for me?

Have you been supplementing with formula, expressed breastmilk, or both?

When she gets frustrated now and you give a bottle, what is in the bottle?

Can you list her weight history (birth wt. lowest wt., wt. at discharge,. 2 week check., any wt checks she's had)

How many times in 24 hrs does she nurse on a typical day?

About how long does she usually nurse?

Does she usually nurse from one breast or both at a feeding?

Tell me more about the nipple soreness. Any damage?

hammack_linda
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 1:19 PM
If your nipples hurt that bad she's not latching correctly when she tries. You just have to keep trying and look up how to latch the baby. It will help. Also you can try using the nipple lotion (idk what it's called) but it fixes cracked and bleeding nipples, it was a blessing for me, and make sure it's safe for baby to ingest, like I said, her latching must be wrong. That was my problem, and I've been breast feeding over a year now
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 5, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Quoting 08Best17Mom09:

ok.. my daughter is 7 weeks old... and idk if she is getting enough from my breasts...
You need to see six dipe changes per day. That's how you know.
since day one ive supplement... but I got it to were she didn't really need a bottle... maybe like an ounce...
Suplementing makes it hard to count. Likely you were fine but hard to know without the rest of the info that's been requested already.
well now shes getting frustrated... and wont stay latched long so I try for as long as I can... then I end up giving her a bottle :/
Yeah, you've got nipple preference at work.
and my nipples hurt... she latches good when she actually latches... but on those days she just wants to be latched all day...
That's pretty normal.
cause its caused nipple soreness... what do I do... what can I do? ive been drinking more and more water.. but im lost n what to do... ive already nursed longer with her than I did with my son.. any advice??

Camping out with her and letting her stay latched all day is actually fine. We need the info that's already requested.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 5, 2013 at 2:12 PM
I agree with this.
Answer the questions above.
Describe the pain. Does it go away after the initial latch or last throughout the entire feeding? Pain at latch that goes away is normal and will subside eventually. Pain that lasts longer indicates an issue with the latch that needs to be corrected.

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting 08Best17Mom09:

ok.. my daughter is 7 weeks old... and idk if she is getting enough from my breasts...
You need to see six dipe changes per day. That's how you know.
since day one ive supplement... but I got it to were she didn't really need a bottle... maybe like an ounce...
Suplementing makes it hard to count. Likely you were fine but hard to know without the rest of the info that's been requested already.
well now shes getting frustrated... and wont stay latched long so I try for as long as I can... then I end up giving her a bottle :/
Yeah, you've got nipple preference at work.
and my nipples hurt... she latches good when she actually latches... but on those days she just wants to be latched all day...
That's pretty normal.
cause its caused nipple soreness... what do I do... what can I do? ive been drinking more and more water.. but im lost n what to do... ive already nursed longer with her than I did with my son.. any advice??

Camping out with her and letting her stay latched all day is actually fine. We need the info that's already requested.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)