Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Birthday cake for an EBF baby?

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 2:45 PM
  • 21 Replies

My DD eats a few bites of veggies here and there but she's mostly breastfed. Her 1st birthday is coming up and the idea of a smash cake sounds fantastic, but I'm anxious that one day she's eating a slice of banana and then it's a full-blown sugar feast on her special day.

Am I overeacting (like I usually do) or are a few mouthfuls of cake okay?

by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 2:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 2:48 PM
Ds was like that too and he ate about half a small slice of cake and had junk food all afternoon and still napped and went to sleep fine. He got a bit more insistent when he saw other people with junk food for a while, but that was the only difference.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Nov. 5, 2013 at 2:51 PM
3 moms liked this

Personally, I would let her have the birthday cake. It's totally up to you though. I would probably make the cake myself so I know exactly what's in it.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 5, 2013 at 3:24 PM
Some have been known to make a cake with breastmilk instead of cow milk and using other substitutes like applesauce as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mahogany_mum
by Charlee on Nov. 5, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I didn't even think of that... Great idea!

Quoting aehanrahan:

Some have been known to make a cake with breastmilk instead of cow milk and using other substitutes like applesauce as well.

mahogany_mum
by Charlee on Nov. 5, 2013 at 3:28 PM

I'm sure a cupcake sized cake wouldn't do much harm considering your experience :)

Quoting polkaspots:

Ds was like that too and he ate about half a small slice of cake and had junk food all afternoon and still napped and went to sleep fine. He got a bit more insistent when he saw other people with junk food for a while, but that was the only difference.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 3:32 PM
He had lots of fun with the cake. He ate it about a quarter of it nicely with his fork and then was using his hands.

Quoting mahogany_mum:

I'm sure a cupcake sized cake wouldn't do much harm considering your experience :)

Quoting polkaspots:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Nov. 5, 2013 at 3:38 PM
I'd just do a cake. My boys smashed their cakes, played with them for a while and then wanted fruit to eat instead.
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Nov. 5, 2013 at 3:54 PM
I did this, used coconut flour and breastmilk, applesauce instead of oil and pureed dates for sugar. He didn't eat any, I had to push his hands in the cake and help him out, he was barely interested, lol.

Quoting aehanrahan:

hip2it
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 3:56 PM
While by the first birthday I had failed at breast feeding with my kids they mostly just played in the cake and then had fruit and veggies. They've never been much for sweets.

Quoting K8wizzo:

I'd just do a cake. My boys smashed their cakes, played with them for a while and then wanted fruit to eat instead.
mrs.hartman12
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Buy a vegan cake :-)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)