Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I need help please... My Bf Baby doesn't want the bottle...

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 6:49 PM
  • 28 Replies
Hi my name is Emily and I just jointed this group I have a 27 month boy and a 3 month old baby... I Breastfeed my baby now I started working and I pomp to leave milk for him at home but he doesn't take the bottle he stayed 7 hours without feeding and when I went home he was really hungry... I just don't know what to do now I'm thinking to stop working...
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 6:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Christenrenee
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this

eep.  I'm worried about this happening with my baby.  I was told to supplement.  She would not take a bottle.  In the hospital the nurses tried.  Luckily she gained enough weight that I don't have toworry about supplementing.  I'll be going back to work when shes 3 months old as well. 

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 7:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Are you able to nurse on demand when you come home? Is someone trying to feed him milk while you're gone? If yes, then he just doesn't want the bottles and is fine. It's called reverse cycling. You could also have someone try giving him the milk in a cup or sippy cup.
You wouldn't be scared if he was going seven hours between feedings at night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 7:14 PM
2 moms liked this

I wish I could offer help, but all I know is that babies aren't supposed to want a bottle. It's just not natural. I quit work to stay home with mine. Good luck to you.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 5, 2013 at 7:14 PM
3 moms liked this
He is reverse cycling. It is not harmful. As long as you nurse on demand while you're together, he will get everything he needs directly from you. The caregiver can try other feeding methods like a dropper, syringe, cup, spoon, SNS and finger feed, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Alicia on Nov. 5, 2013 at 7:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Don't stress this as long as baby is making diaper count. My DS2 only takes 3ozs while I'm gone 8 hours. It's called reverse cycling and it's actually a good thing for you. Look at it this way, you would be cheering if this was over night and baby slept the whole time, right? Same thing.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 5, 2013 at 7:15 PM
2 moms liked this

No need to stop working. This is called reverse cycling and is actually desirable! It's great for supply. No baby will starve himself. When hungry, he'll eat. Just think: If he SLEPT for 7 hours you'd be celebrating!

Now, one thing you should check is the taste and smell of the milk to make sure there's not a problem with excess lipase making the milk taste sour.

bebe_ju-rah
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this
My little guy reversed cycled from about 3-5 months and only took about 2 ozs in 6-8 hrs of separation. He eventually stopped doing that but he still only takes about 4oz in that time and them nurses a lot when I get him. Some babies are just like that. If you're worried or weight/diaper count is an issue, maybe try a syringe instead...or a few different bottles. GL
emily123380
by Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 8:33 PM
Thank you all for your replays.... I work only 3 days a week and when I'm home he feeds very good he's a big baby too at his 2 month check up he was 16 lp and 4 ounces and he sleeps 8 hours at night that's why I get worried b/c when he wakes up he wants to feed a lot and when I work I don't have time to feed him that much in the morning but he seems fine tho he doesn't cry... My mom said that she tried to give him with spoon too and he started crying... I was just hoping to find a way for him to get the bottle too until we start the food...
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 10:52 PM
You made me a bit nervous with your update. Foods come after milk until a year, so if he doesn't drink milk while you're at work he doesn't get any food either. You've also got another three months before he might be ready. He's not going hungry, he's choosing not to drink the milk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emily123380
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 2:13 PM
Oh no we're not starting food right now I'm planning on starting fruits, vegetable and cereal at 6 months old and up that's why I wanted him to take the bottle until he's 6 months at least... But if doesn't want to I'm not going to force it lol... I'll just keep trying other methods if he likes any of those....

Quoting polkaspots:

You made me a bit nervous with your update. Foods come after milk until a year, so if he doesn't drink milk while you're at work he doesn't get any food either. You've also got another three months before he might be ready. He's not going hungry, he's choosing not to drink the milk.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)