Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Need help with my overactive letdown!

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 8:58 PM
  • 12 Replies

I have an overactive letdown that my 3 month old son has always handled very well but is now OVER IT! Usually when it starts flowing fast he unlatches to smile and coo at me while it streams into a burp rag or bottle until it slows. Now when it goes too fast he screams at me!! When it slows and he tries to latch on again if something comes out all hell breaks loose! He just screams and screams and screams when I try to feed him.

What am I doing wrong?! If he tries to chug it down he chokes and spits up 3 or 4 times until he can finally breathe again. I'm going to buy a pump tomorrow to see if I can make sure my breasts don't get too full. I'm already block feeding and nursing in the reclined position.

What do I dooo?!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:03 PM
Change your nursing position. Never have him under the breast. This will help reduce the force of the flow into his mouth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thetardis
by Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:32 PM

We already nurse in a reclined postion, as stated above. Thank you.

Quoting aehanrahan:

Change your nursing position. Never have him under the breast. This will help reduce the force of the flow into his mouth.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:34 PM
I'm sorry. I missed that. How long are your blocks? Maybe you need to extend them.

Quoting thetardis:

Quoting aehanrahan:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kellileanne
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Longer blocks, some people have to go 12hrs.

thetardis
by Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:43 PM

5-6 hours. Is it okay to pump from the other breast during this time? 

Quoting aehanrahan:

I'm sorry. I missed that. How long are your blocks? Maybe you need to extend them.

Quoting thetardis:

Quoting aehanrahan:

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:49 PM
Pumping defeats the purpose of the block feeding. Do you need to pump?
You could try the method of pumping both breasts first thing in the morning then block feeding from there.

Quoting thetardis:

Quoting aehanrahan:

Quoting thetardis:

Quoting aehanrahan:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thetardis
by Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:53 PM

It's not necessary, it's only that my other breast hurts very badly after a few hours. I know it'll go away eventually, but I've been block feeding for a little over a month now. If I pumped to keep them from getting too full would that help, or should I stick with block feeding?

Quoting aehanrahan:

You could try the method of pumping both breasts first thing in the morning then block feeding from there.

Quoting thetardis:

Quoting aehanrahan:

Quoting thetardis:

Quoting aehanrahan:

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:55 PM
2 moms liked this
Stick with the block feeding and hand express just enough for relief when you get so unbearably uncomfortable.

Quoting thetardis:

It's not necessary, it's only that my other breasts hurts very badly after a few hours. I know it'll go away eventually, but I've been block feeding for a little over a month now. If I pumped to keep them from getting too full would that help, or should I stick with block feeding?

Quoting aehanrahan:

Quoting thetardis:

Quoting aehanrahan:

Quoting thetardis:

Quoting aehanrahan:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
girlnaboyworld
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 4:11 PM

I had to pump a little before he would nurse just so he didn't choke.  This did absolutely nothing for my oversupply and my freezer is as full as it can get but Little guy doesn't choke and he gets more hindmilk because when I don't pump all he gets is foremilk.  

thetardis
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I started pumping this morning and I got my smiley baby back. I'm glad I found something that works.

Quoting girlnaboyworld:

I had to pump a little before he would nurse just so he didn't choke.  This did absolutely nothing for my oversupply and my freezer is as full as it can get but Little guy doesn't choke and he gets more hindmilk because when I don't pump all he gets is foremilk.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)