Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Mommy & Member in need of help

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 2:01 AM
  • 7 Replies

Hello Ladies,

My name is Jae and I recently became a new mother for the 3rd time!  My kids are 10 and 7 ,and I gave birth to my beautiful daughter on October 21st . I did experience my breastmilk coming in about 3days after having her,and at first I seemed to be doing really well with producing milk, ( getting about 2oz. per side) for a total of 4oz every 2-3 hours however I have been breastfeeding for 2weeks and 1 day now and it seems as if I am not producing as much milk as I was when I first started.

I am needed some help with ways that I can produce more milk so that I can avoid being forced to put my lil one on formula. fyi: I am also using a medela electric double breast pump as well to assist with pumping the milk out as well ,please help,any suggest or advice is much appreciated .

Thank you for all your help. 

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 2:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 2:06 AM
Why are you pumping? Pumping isn't needed at all. Your baby demands milk from your body by nursing on demand, that's how your body produces enough. Your supply is supposed to adjust to her needs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jdixon12
by New Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Intially my baby wasnt only feeding 1oz of breastmilk from the time she was born up until about 5days old,once I was released from the hospital she then started feeding 2oz every 3-4hours but my body started producing more milk than she was feeding so I decided to pump the milk during the down time when she was sleeping or not nursing at all. Pumping seemed to relieve me from becoming engorged and able to keep the milk supply going ,however today which now my baby eats about 2-3oz now at 2wks old I noticed Im not getting as much milk as i was previously so now I am kind of at a stand still and I dont know what I can do to bring on more milk supply .

shortyali
by Alicia on Nov. 6, 2013 at 6:11 AM
1 mom liked this

So are you pumping only and giving bottles or are you breastfeeding?  I personally put the pump away for the first 6ish weeks becasue your body is trying to figure out how many babies it is feeding.  Then if I am going back to work I will start pumping once a day.  

How do you know she was only getting 1oz? Were you doing before and after weights?  Just so you know a pump is only about half as effecient as a baby at removing milk. Also normal pump output for a missed feeding is .5-2ozs for both breasts combined. Any more than that could be considered an oversupply and that nots good either.  Oversupplies lead to clogged ducts, masitits, and the constant need to wear breast pads. 

If you are going back to work just remember babies only need 1-1.25ozs per hour your gone in bottles no bigger than 3ozs. Thats a forever number, it doesnt matter if your baby is 5 weeks, 5 months or 15 months.  Your milk changes on a daily, almost feeding, basis to be exactly what baby needs.  More fat, more of a particular vitamin, more "watery" and so on. 

Quoting jdixon12:

Intially my baby wasnt only feeding 1oz of breastmilk from the time she was born up until about 5days old,once I was released from the hospital she then started feeding 2oz every 3-4hours but my body started producing more milk than she was feeding so I decided to pump the milk during the down time when she was sleeping or not nursing at all. Pumping seemed to relieve me from becoming engorged and able to keep the milk supply going ,however today which now my baby eats about 2-3oz now at 2wks old I noticed Im not getting as much milk as i was previously so now I am kind of at a stand still and I dont know what I can do to bring on more milk supply .

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 6:37 AM
The way you tell if she is getting enough is by how many diapers she goes through in 24 hours. You want at least six per day with at least two quarter sized poops. Poopy diapers count as two. No more bottles, breast only. Put her to breast every time she wiggles. No timing. Keep her on one side until she comes off on her own, burp and offer the other. Repeat if necessary. If she takes the other side, fine. If not, just go to that side for the next feeding.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Nov. 6, 2013 at 6:59 AM
There is not a pump in existence that can match the efficiency of a baby at stimulating milk. Keep nursing that baby and pack the pump away for a few more weeks. Supply is gauged be diaper count, so even if the baby seems unsatisfied or if your breasts feel "empty", you can see by diapers that the milk is going in. (Soft breasts are *producing* breasts btw, whereas breasts that are getting too fill signal production to ease up).And it's correct, the baby should never be getting more than 2-3 ounces now or a year from now. Whereas a formula baby's bottles get bigger and bigger, nor so with a breastfed baby as breastmilk changes in composition.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:15 AM

If she's on the breast, then put the pump away. If you're exclusively pumping it's a commitment to being on the pump every two hours around the clock. Normal output is half an ounce to two ounces total. Baby's daily need is 24-30 ounces.

And it's normal for pump output to drop no matter what you do. When baby is first born your body doesn't know how many it's feeding. (Silly, isn't it?) Exclusive pumping can become an exercise in always trying to catch up.

See the resources post for a link to our tips on increasing supply. But from what I see, your supply is dandy and you merely need to put the pump away.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Welcome to the group!
I agree with everyone else. ^^^
Are you only nursing but pumping to relieve engorgement, nursing and giving bottles, or exclusively pumping and giving bottles?
All you really need to ensure a good supply is to nurse on demand. The engorgement is normal and will not last, but the pumping is making it worse because it is telling your body that it needs to make more milk than your baby needs. Hand expressing just enough for relief is recommended for the engorgement.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)