Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

First time mom...how do you know how long to breastfeed?

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 8:48 AM
  • 20 Replies

So my baby is due in January and I really want to breastfeed. How do you know when it is time to stop?

And when can babies start eating real food, mushed up of course?

by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this
The AAP and WHO recommend two years or until either or both mom and baby are done.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Nov. 8, 2013 at 8:55 AM
Do you mean when to wean, or are you talking about timing feedings?

Regarding solid foods: must be at least 6 months old, lost tongue thrust, sits unassisted, has pincer grasp and can self - feed.
shortyali
by Alicia on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:04 AM
I follow babies lead. Each feeding until they pop off, well after the 1st birthday until they no longer ask.

Solids after 6 months and no need to mash. Just cut into hand size pieces and give to baby. They won't choke if they are truly ready for solids.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this

1. You stop when baby stops. No calendar to that; simply let baby lead. There are some things about which baby is smarter than you; how long to nurse is one of them. Sleep habits are another! Year one is very much "baby drives the bus."

2. No solids before six months. And even then, not mushed stuff. Google "baby led solids."

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:28 AM
Just wanted to add my congratulations, and invite you to keep reading posts here and on kellymom.com :-)
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 8, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Congratulations!
I agree with everyone else.^^^
Between now and then, read and learn. Start in the resources sticky at the top of the group. There are many links to pages at kellymom.com. That is my favorite place for correct breastfeeding information.
Then come here and ask anything and everything that comes to mind.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Careeka22
by Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I agree with all the ladies above. I knew I wanted to do a year minimum being a new mom and not knowing what to expect but here I am 2.5 years later still nursing. I had NO idea that it would go on this long but I just let her take the lead. Also we tried baby food at 6 months and she wasn't ready, wait for them to tell you. Congrats and good luck!

Kellileanne
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Lol, it will all come.  Babies are all different, some are done after 15min and other will take 1hr.  Once supply is regulated and the baby gets a little older they get much faster.  My 15 month old is usually done in 5min and has been that way since 9 months atleast.  .

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Congrats on your pregnancy & welcome to the group mama! :-) I agree with all the above as well. Pureed baby foods are not very nutrient dense for the most part and are just a waste of money, and baby cereals especially rice cause more harm than good despite what your pedi might say, but even the AAP no longer recommends introducing them at all. Foodss before one are just for fun and the first year your baby's main source of nutrition should be breastmilk. Thereafter the WHO recommends going on with breastfeeding in addition to solids until a minimum of 2 years of age and as long as mutually desired by mother and child. Research has suggested a natural age of weaning for children is between 2-7 years of age, however any amount of breastfeeding you do will be beneficial to your child. :-)
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group momma!  When its time to stop baby will know!  That being said there are nursing strikes where baby acts like its time and its not so if its sudden and especially if its under a year..its not time

6 months is earliest time for solids and only after full nursings.  Mushed up isnt needed, if baby is ready for solids, majority can feed themselves foods

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)