Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Can you do both breastfeeding and formula feeding?

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 10:06 AM
  • 22 Replies

I'm kind of lost on the whole breastfeeding thing.  I had a friend that was able to take 3 months off of work with both of her girls so she was able to transition from breastfeeding to formula feeding better than I could.  I'm only getting 4 weeks off from work so transitioning will be harder for me.  Is it possible to do half the feedings with formula and half with breast milk from the beginning?  Or will that make the baby sick?  I'm completely clueless in this area and would love some advice.  Thanks

by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ZombieChicken
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 10:08 AM
I did both because I didn't make enough. I just switched back and forth. With my twins I switched feedings.
secondboy2012
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 10:10 AM
Can you pump once you go back to work? I would really try because breast milk is best, but if you find it difficult there are other options. I made homemade formula. If that's not something you feel comfortable with then I would defiantly buy organic formula.
mandydawn_31

What formula did you use?

Aireeahnah
I think they call that supplementing with formula. If your baby has no allergies you really can do just about anything as far as the combination works. I have also heard of mothers that pump milk at work, what they can, to keep their supply going, and nurse at home And give formula when necessary. That way, baby still getting some of the immunities offered in breastmilk. Good luck.
Edenpeden
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 10:11 AM
I thought six wks was drs orders. Four sounds even worse!
Owl_Feather
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I did with DS, my first baby. I also wasnt educated as much about breastfeeding. DS developed some problems and his pediatrician (who I later on kicked out of our lives due to her nurse retracting my son's penis without my knowledge) told me to add formula. He still prefered the breast, thankfully. But he did just fine on both. He got my milk first then during the day I gave him a bottle (I took this opportunity to pump). He self weaned a few days after his 1st birthday.

mandydawn_31
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 10:15 AM

I could pump when I go back to work, in fact,  I'll actually have my son with me at work.  The big problem I'm having is that I work with all men so its a matter of being uncomfortable with breastfeeding at work.  I envy the moms that are able to breastfeed in public but I'm such a shy, reserved person, I don't think I would be able to do that either.  Which is why I would like to do half breast feeding and half formula.  That way if I'm out of the house during a feeding and feel uncomfortable breastfeeding,  I can use formula because I know stress and nerves will affect breast milk supply.

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Nov. 8, 2013 at 10:43 AM

If you give formula to your baby when you are with him and could be breastfeeding, this will drastically effect your supply. Anytime anything but the breast is being given, you should pump to demand the milk at the time the baby is eating. Is there not a private place you can sit to nurse your baby at work? Throw a blanket over the 2 of you or stick baby in a wrap or carrier and no one will see a thing. The risks of formula are too high for me to even think about giving it to my child if I am alive and well enough to breastfeed. I can't imagine being right there with my baby and not feeding her from the tap. The more you nurse in public, the easier it gets. I strongly encourage that you get used to doing this and make life easier by sticking with breastfeeding.

Quoting mandydawn_31:

I could pump when I go back to work, in fact,  I'll actually have my son with me at work.  The big problem I'm having is that I work with all men so its a matter of being uncomfortable with breastfeeding at work.  I envy the moms that are able to breastfeed in public but I'm such a shy, reserved person, I don't think I would be able to do that either.  Which is why I would like to do half breast feeding and half formula.  That way if I'm out of the house during a feeding and feel uncomfortable breastfeeding,  I can use formula because I know stress and nerves will affect breast milk supply.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 12:06 PM
If your company employs more than fifty people, they are required by law to provide you with a place (not a bathroom) to pump, and unpaid time to do so.Your baby will be much healthier on breastmilk, meaning less time off work. Take a look at "Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby" on kellymom.com, and some of the other articles, too.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 8, 2013 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mandydawn_31:

I could pump when I go back to work, in fact,  I'll actually have my son with me at work. lucky duck!! I would love to have my kiddo with meThe big problem I'm having is that I work with all men so its a matter of being uncomfortable with breastfeeding at work.  ahhh I understand that, it takes some getting used to things to nurse in public...I found using a carrier was great for nursing in public.  OR using a private roomI envy the moms that are able to breastfeed in public but I'm such a shy, reserved person, I don't think I would be able to do that either. oh bet you could with practice for sure..Which is why I would like to do half breast feeding and half formula.  you CAN do that, but it could lead to baby refusing the breast, supply majorly low or baby being too full on formula to nurseThat way if I'm out of the house during a feeding and feel uncomfortable breastfeeding,  I can use formula because I know stress and nerves will affect breast milk supply.but skipping feeds can lead to supply damage and breast infections too.

HUGS momma, this can be done but I dont recommend it.  Your body won't know when to make milk and when not to unless theres a set time everyday that you just dont nurse...same times everyday is best.  Its best for mom never to give the formula/bottle as baby will find it easier and come to expect it.  BF and FF babies are different animals in how they act and everything so it makes moms worry they are not enough when they see their child act different after different types of feedings.  I see the shyness and worry taking over and baby getting more and more formula/bottles and you regretting it because obviously you DO want to nurse.

I say do this...start off EBFing..no bottles no formula at all.  Give it 2-3 weeks.  The last week before going back to work pump once a day and store that milk.  Work that week at what I call the 2 shirt method..wear a nursing tank under a regular shirt pull regular shirt up and nursing tank down and nurse baby.  Use a blanket or nursing cover if you feel its needed still.  Do this in front of a mirror at first to see what others see.  Then do it in front of family/friends who are supportive.  THEn try somewhere in public...like go to the mall or somewhere with benches.  Invest in a carrier and try nursing in that. IF you find you just can't do the nursing then take breaks and pump, by law they have to let you pump and you can give those bottles after pumping.

Give yourself a fighting chance at making Bfing work FIRST.

Rsearch formula too...know the risks and side effects, be an informed educated momma and make the choice that works for you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)