Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

"Why aren't you giving him cereal yet--he needs it." ***ETA***

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 10:11 AM
  • 26 Replies

Unfortunately, we recently moved in with my grandmother (long story short = landlord wanted to sell the property and kicked us out). We have been there for less than a week, and already I'm getting told everything I'm doing wrong as a parent (I have two sons, one is almost 4, the other is almost 3 months).
  Yesterday, grandma asked me if I was giving DS2 cereal yet... I said no (of course, being EBF). She then asked "Why not? He needs it." I explained to her that he doesn't need it since he is EBF. She asked me if he was sleeping through the night. I said, yes, but even if he wasn't he doesn't need cereal.
  I am going to stand my ground, but it feels like I'm fighting generations of tradition now. What do I do??

**ETA** I should probably add that she ruined all of the nipples to the bottles we have by "cleaning" them with bleach because they "smelled." I work full time, so DS2 gets two bottles while I'm gone. She said she used the right combo of bleach and water, but I thought you can't even use bleach on nipples? Even if she used the right amount, they're ruined...

by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama-smurf
by Felisha on Nov. 8, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Tell grandma to leave u alone and to stop trying to tell u.how to parent. Yiu child not hers. I hear the same thing too. I ignore or tell them to leave me alone sands its my kid not theirs. But watch out. They might give baby foods and more behind your back.
Edenpeden
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 10:16 AM
My mom always makes these comments too. I just say research has proven otherwise, and my plan is to do such and such. The end. If she gets really instant you could read her some of the research. or just smile and nod.
jean_marie1987
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I have to be careful with smile and nod. To her that equals agreement.

Quoting Edenpeden:

My mom always makes these comments too. I just say research has proven otherwise, and my plan is to do such and such. The end. If she gets really instant you could read her some of the research. or just smile and nod.

jean_marie1987
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 10:19 AM

She's not a nice person, and DH and I had already decided early on in our marriage that she was never allowed alone with our children (completely different long story), so she really wouldn't have the opportunity to give him anything without us around.

Quoting mama-smurf:

Tell grandma to leave u alone and to stop trying to tell u.how to parent. Yiu child not hers. I hear the same thing too. I ignore or tell them to leave me alone sands its my kid not theirs. But watch out. They might give baby foods and more behind your back.

mama-smurf
by Felisha on Nov. 8, 2013 at 10:21 AM
I wish my bf would say same thing about his grandma. I seriously hate that old lady. Shes not nice either,.she doesn't care about hurting others

Quoting jean_marie1987:

She's not a nice person, and DH and I had already decided early on in our marriage that she was never allowed alone with our children (completely different long story), so she really wouldn't have the opportunity to give him anything without us around.

Quoting mama-smurf:

Edenpeden
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Its crazy all the things we put into practice without proper research. Just four yrs ago I gave my daughter cereal per her dr and never knew any different.

Quoting jean_marie1987:

I have to be careful with smile and nod. To her that equals agreement.

Quoting Edenpeden:

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Keep standing your ground! She had a chance to be a parent and this is yours. Tell her that things have changed since she had babies and the research shows that rice cereal is not necessary. Print out some of the research and give it to her. I know, she'll probably ignore it, but give it to her anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jean_marie1987
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:55 AM

That was actually our compromise. DH wanted her out of our life completely. I thought about it, but I just can't do that no matter how awful she is. And, she is the only one that took us in now... Given, she did it to have control, but still...

Quoting mama-smurf:

I wish my bf would say same thing about his grandma. I seriously hate that old lady. Shes not nice either,.she doesn't care about hurting others

Quoting jean_marie1987:

Quoting mama-smurf:

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 8, 2013 at 12:01 PM
2 moms liked this

Theres 2 ways you can take it...1-educate her 2-ignore and refuse to discuss it

I prefer the educate, explain why cereal isnt needed, and explain all the studies that are more current on solids

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 8, 2013 at 12:02 PM

ok nevermind..best bet is to say because he is my/our child and thats what I/we decided

Quoting jean_marie1987:

Quoting mama-smurf:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)