Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

supplements

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 1:54 PM
  • 8 Replies

I know this is a question for the dr and I plan to ask at the next visit.  [I keep forgetting].  Are supplements safe while breastfeeding.  I take a prenatal already.

Prior to pregnancy I also took extra D as I was low.  I stopped during pregnancy.  Is it safe to take 2000 iud extra?  With the winter coming I feel I need it.  I believe my low D level is relative to seasonal depression.  Also, does anyone know anything about grape seed extract, silica complex, coQ10?  The last 3 I took for skin health.  I don't have a skin problem, but I felt like my skin looked a lot better when I took those.

by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 1:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 2:18 PM
Look these up on kellymom.com, lactmed.com, or Dr. Hale's Infant Risk Hotline. The vitamin D is a very good idea. There is probably not a problem with the others, either as long as you are not overdosing. I use coconut oil for hair skin and nails. I put it in my food , hot cocoa or coffee, and use it topically as well. Great stuff!
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Nov. 9, 2013 at 4:14 PM
I agree!^ I take a D supplement as do my 2 nurslings, we live in Michigan on a top floor apt building so sun exposure in the winter is minimal. I think the other meds would be fine as well but I would first check with lactmed and/ or the infant risk hotline.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 9, 2013 at 7:56 PM
I also agree. ^^^
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Christenrenee
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I did a search and there were no results. 

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 11, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Nothing you're planning to take is a problem that I can find. Grapeseed extract is used externally as a thrush treatment, so babies will get a larger doese at the breast than can be delivered through milk.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 11, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Welcome to the group momma! I love your black kitty pic!! I always have had a blac cat since I was lke 7 years old..35 now.  All rescues!

That being said VIt D is great for you to take and baby needs sun time outside or VIt D supplements too since you now your Vit D to be low.  The Grape seed extract is fine..we use it arund here for yeast treatments.  Silica is known to have Nicoteine in it and dehydrates as well as messes up blood sugar levels all 3 things can lower supply...avid silica supplements. coQ10 is questionable because its not been studied...even Dr hale hasnt studied it because its not used to treat anything safe meds arent available for.  I would avoid it.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 11, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Welcome to the group momma! I love your black kitty pic!! I always have had a blac cat since I was lke 7 years old..35 now.  All rescues!

That being said VIt D is great for you to take and baby needs sun time outside or VIt D supplements too since you now your Vit D to be low.  The Grape seed extract is fine..we use it arund here for yeast treatments.  Silica is known to have Nicoteine in it and dehydrates as well as messes up blood sugar levels all 3 things can lower supply...avid silica supplements. coQ10 is questionable because its not been studied...even Dr hale hasnt studied it because its not used to treat anything safe meds arent available for.  I would avoid it.

I'll defer to tabi here... I thought silica wasn't to be taken internally anyway?

K8wizzo
by Kate on Nov. 11, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Grape seed extract hasn't been studied, per Hale.  Grapefruit seed extract is what is typically recommended in here for thrush.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)