Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nervous about breastfeeding

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 5:55 PM
  • 21 Replies
I am being induced with baby # 2 on Monday. I was not successful in breastfeeding my 1st. Part of it was lack of education and the other part was his undiagnosed tongue tie. I want more than anything to be able to nurse dd hopefully until she self weans. I am getting really nervous about nursing her and am just looking for some words of encouragement or any advice you might have. Also when I was trying to nurse my 1st there was some who made me feel embarrassed because of their reactions to it. Any advice for nursing when family/friends come to visit. Especially my in laws and our dads who might be uncomfortable. Last time I couldn't latch him and cover at the same time.
by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 5:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 9, 2013 at 6:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't cover. Seriously, do your thing. Their comfort is not your worry, BABY'S comfort is.

Hannahsmommy816
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 6:09 PM

i dont cover...i bf dd3, my 1st to bf well, and just slightly cover up with a receiving blanket. covers are too darn hot!

each baby is different, you have a new slate, try again!! :)

GreenDotsOrange
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 6:10 PM
Quoting gdiamante:

Don't cover. Seriously, do your thing. Their comfort is not your worry, BABY'S comfort is.

Last time my mother in law and grandmother in law came to visit at the hospital. I didn't feel uncomfortable at all and didn't see it as a big deal..until they shielded their eyes and acted all weird. They acted like I was running around naked or something. My stepdad didnt even want to come up to the hospital since I was breastfeeding and didn't want to walk in while I was nursing. It's sad to me that people freak out so much over something so natural.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 9, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Thir strange behavior isn't your problem. Let them act that way. It's a hard act to keep up for long. **grin**

Quoting GreenDotsOrange:

Quoting gdiamante:

Don't cover. Seriously, do your thing. Their comfort is not your worry, BABY'S comfort is

Last time my mother in law and grandmother in law came to visit at the hospital. I didn't feel uncomfortable at all and didn't see it as a big deal..until they shielded their eyes and acted all weird. They acted like I was running around naked or something. My stepdad didnt even want to come up to the hospital since I was breastfeeding and didn't want to walk in while I was nursing. It's sad to me that people freak out so much over something so natural.

GreenDotsOrange
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Quoting Hannahsmommy816:

i dont cover...i bf dd3, my 1st to bf well, and just slightly cover up with a receiving blanket. covers are too darn hot!

I am trying to remind myself that. I know I am going in more educated this time. I think when people tell their "horror" stories of breastfeeding and how they couldn't it is just getting me nervous.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Be confident. We're here to help. Stick your tongue out at uninformed relatives. Don't let anything go in your baby's mouth but your nipple. Know that babies have been fed this way for thousands of years. If ties are present, let us know--there are resources for finding doctors who will revise them. You can do this!
fiiasco
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Very few people in my family breastfed & the ones that did didn't make it past 3-6 months so I always get "told" things, but I just let them go in one ear & out the other. I didn't worry about covering in the hospital, I said, "baby has to eat" if they stepped out they stepped out otherwise I turned my back & did my thing. The first 3-6 weeks are definetely the hardest but if you can make it through that you can make it through anything :) Good luck & don't be anxious!!

CafeMom Tickers
GreenDotsOrange
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 6:22 PM
Quoting gdiamante:

Thir strange behavior isn't your problem. Let them act that way. It's a hard act to keep up for long. **grin**

Quoting GreenDotsOrange:
Quoting gdiamante:

Don't cover. Seriously, do your thing. Their comfort is not your worry, BABY'S comfort is

I think it will help that dh knows how serious I am this time and is ready to come to my defense should anyone say anything. You are right though. If I normalize it they will eventually have to get over it!
Hannahsmommy816
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 6:23 PM

i know, i thought of all the what-ifs...tongue tie, lipe tie, latch etc. dd3 has none of that so im happy! dd1 would not latch  well and i didnt bf dd2....i pumped and gave what i could

just remember to bf within 1hr of birth! my dd3 only bf's for 5 min a side. it hurts like hell the first few weeks until you get used to it

Quoting GreenDotsOrange:

Quoting Hannahsmommy816:

I am trying to remind myself that. I know I am going in more educated this time. I think when people tell their "horror" stories of breastfeeding and how they couldn't it is just getting me nervous.

GreenDotsOrange
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Quoting MusherMaggie:

Be confident. We're here to help. Stick your tongue out at uninformed relatives. Don't let anything go in your baby's mouth but your nipple. Know that babies have been fed this way for thousands of years. If ties are present, let us know--there are resources for finding doctors who will revise them. You can do this!

She isn't even here yet and I am already being asked when I am going to wean. Smh. My mom has asked how soon i am going to pump so she can feed her too. She was dissapointed when i said maybe never lol. I had to get my blood pressure checked at the hospital today ( preeclampsia is why I am being induced) and I did tell them I will be breastfeeding and don't want her to have a pacifier. With my son I had never heard of a tongue tie and they never mentioned it. We didn't did out until he was a year old he had one and we got it clipped. I will definately be looking for one this time and insist she gets it clipped before we go home! Do you know if tongue tie is common for both siblings to have?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)