Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Thinking about supplementing with formula

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 1:02 PM
  • 34 Replies
I have a 1 month old boy and I've been breast feeding him since his 2nd day in the world. Lately I've been thinking about supplementing with formula because he feeds very often and usually he needs to drink from beast then burp and drink from the other. Sometimes he even feeds three times in one feeding session. Now this has me feeling overwhelmed because he usually take about an hour to do this and I hardly have time to don much during the day. I also have a 2year old that I need to spend time with and a house to maintain so it is hard to spend an hour for breast feeding. I'm feeling a little guilty about this because I didn't supplement with my 2 year old and she breast fed for 15 months is anyone else going through this or has been through it before?
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Edenpeden
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe he has trouble getting enough. have you checked lip/tongue tie? Or tried using a sling or carrier to nurse while getting stuff done? Good job going so long with your first! Hope you find a solution.
mama-smurf
by Felisha on Nov. 10, 2013 at 1:08 PM
Newborns nurse very often. They go through growth spurts. No need to supplement. Buy a baby carrier do you can carry baby and spend time with the other kids.
mama-smurf
by Felisha on Nov. 10, 2013 at 1:10 PM
Yes this. Many doctors are uneducated about lip ties so its beat to look for yourself. Would u want me to post, picture on how to identify a lip and tongue tie?

Quoting Edenpeden:

Maybe he has trouble getting enough. have you checked lip/tongue tie? Or tried using a sling or carrier to nurse while getting stuff done? Good job going so long with your first! Hope you find a solution.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Nov. 10, 2013 at 1:16 PM
3 moms liked this
You're probably at the tail end of the ugly 3 week growth spurt. Unless you're not seeing 6 diapers or so per day, there is no reason to suspect the fussy behavior is related to supply. I can tell you with complete certainty that offering supplemental formula, between feeds or to top off, will start to actually cause your supply to drop. Plenty of people breastfeed and also do formula, and if that's not going to undermine your goals then that's ok. All the crazy 24/7 nursing now is raising your supply to make nursing a little easier tomorrow. At a month you're still so early in the game. Nothing about a one month old is pleasant yet. It's grueling. I understand how hard the juggling is as I have 4. Having two kids isn't just twice as hard. It's harder!
PooBearr
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 1:18 PM

If you wanna wait it out, it should get better soon. If not, pump (it's sometimes quicker) and/or supplement. I can only pump once during weekdays b/c highschool so I only make 4 oz. during school and 4 oz. after, then must supplement w/ another 4 oz. of formula. No big deal honestly-it isn't some shameful life altering decision :) good luck

CafeMom Tickers
PooBearr
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 1:20 PM
2 moms liked this

Yeah-huh. When they smile in their sleep it's pleasant:) 

Quoting mostlymaydays:

You're probably at the tail end of the ugly 3 week growth spurt. Unless you're not seeing 6 diapers or so per day, there is no reason to suspect the fussy behavior is related to supply. I can tell you with complete certainty that offering supplemental formula, between feeds or to top off, will start to actually cause your supply to drop. Plenty of people breastfeed and also do formula, and if that's not going to undermine your goals then that's ok. All the crazy 24/7 nursing now is raising your supply to make nursing a little easier tomorrow. At a month you're still so early in the game. Nothing about a one month old is pleasant yet. It's grueling. I understand how hard the juggling is as I have 4. Having two kids isn't just twice as hard. It's harder!

CafeMom Tickers
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 1:21 PM

I have two children as well.  I just got a sling and wore the baby and let him nurse whenever he wanted.  I never supplemented because I have seen first hand what happens with breastfeeding when babies are supplemented. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

micheledo
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I completely understand. 

Personally, I think the better solution is to give yourself a break.  Baby NEEDS you - that closeness, the nursing constantly, and you can benefit from sitting and being still.  :D

I have six children, 7 years and younger.  Our 6th was born this July.  She seems to nurse more then any of my others.  The first few months were SO hard and took so much time.  But you find other ways to do things with the kids.  Sit on the floor with the toddler while she play and nurse there.  Sit by her bed at night and nurser there.  Crawl into bed with her at nap time and nurse there.  And let the house go.  Seriously, give yourself permission.  You are nourishing an entire other person right now and are the only source of nutrients.  That is a priority.

You'll catch up!  You really will.  And talk to your toddler about it - how you did the same thing with her because you loved her so much and wanted to give her the best.  Now it is her siblings turn!  It will get easier.  I promise! 

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 10, 2013 at 2:05 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting ZJC:

I have a 1 month old boy and I've been breast feeding him since his 2nd day in the world. Lately I've been thinking about supplementing with formula because he feeds very often and usually he needs to drink from beast then burp and drink from the other.
That's normal. Formula will negatviely impact supply.
Sometimes he even feeds three times in one feeding session.
Normal for this age.
Now this has me feeling overwhelmed because he usually take about an hour to do this and I hardly have time to don much during the day.
You're not SUPPOSED to do much else. Let the house go. No one worth being had "World's Greatest Housekeeper" on her tombstone. Dad can do the things that really need doing.
I also have a 2year old that I need to spend time with
Pop the two year old next to you and read while nursing. And get a SLING. It's required when more than one child is in the home, or you have to return the older  child.
and a house to maintain so it is hard to spend an hour for breast feeding.
See my note above. The house will WAIT.
I'm feeling a little guilty about this because I didn't supplement with my 2 year old and she breast fed for 15 months is anyone else going through this or has been through it before?

Every mom on earth! Understand that Supermom is in Arkham Asylum, sporting a lovely white jacket with extra-long wraparound sleeves. Don't be her!

The house will wait. Babies don't keep. Formula merely will add more to your tasks; you have to boil the water to make it properly, and you have to wash bottles. That makes nothing easier. 

ZJC
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 3:20 PM
4 moms liked this
Thanks for all the advice. He shows all the signs of baby who is getting enough milk, he uses between 6-8 diapers, his stool is yellow and there is always excess milk running down the sides of his mouth when he feeds. I think u was just feeling a little overwhelmed with the situation and it clouding my judgment. So I am definitely going to stick to breast feeding and enjoying my two year old. The house will just have to wait.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)