Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Tandum nursing!?

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 2:27 PM
  • 9 Replies

For those of you that have nursed two babies at the same time (not twins) just a few questions...

how old was the oldest LO when you got AF back!? And could start ttc again? 

Did being pregnant cause you to stop producing milk!? If yes did your LO still try to. Ruse or give up while you were pregnant!? And how far along were you when you dried up!? 

I'm 10week pp and haven't got af yet. I'm thinking way ahead as idk forsure if we will even try for another baby but also wondering bc I'm not on birth control. 

by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 2:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 10, 2013 at 2:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Be aware you can get pregnant again without ever seeing AF. You could be pregnant right now! We've seen it happen. I knew one woman who was period free for a decade, but had three babies in that time.

micheledo
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 2:35 PM

The first time I tandemn nursed my period came back at 9 months.  For me that was great!  I have been as early as 6 weeks.  And I concieved about a year after that.

My milk supply dropped drastically.  I don't think it was gone, but the kids all lost interest in it.  The first child I nursed through a pregnancy would latch one, take one suck or two, and be done.  The only time I could get her to nurse longer was if she was falling asleep.  

Milk_Chocolate
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 2:38 PM

My oldest was 15 months old when my cycles returned. After my second cycle we decided to TTC. Was pregnant by the time he was 17 months old. 

I never stopped producing though my supply did get low. I think the supply drop was the result of me limiting how much and often he nursed, as well, as hormonal changes. I had strong nursing aversion. I was miserable some days. Around 25 weeks my milk changed to colostrum. Before it changed to colostrum there were days my son nursed for only a minute or two and popped off shaking his head no or shrugging telling me no milk mama. Even though I could still hand express some after he unlatched. When the colostrum came in he was back to wanting to nurse frequently.  

I'm now nursing my 32 month old and 5 month old. I would be surprised for my cycles to return before my youngest is a year old. 

kman88
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Yes I know!! I'm gonna pick up some dollar tests and prly test every. 4 weeks just to put my mind at ease...not having a period is nice but I would hate to end up pregnant and not know until I start showing or feeling the baby.. (I had no symptoms I was pregnant until heartburn at 18 weeks and started feeling her move around then too) 

Quoting gdiamante:

Be aware you can get pregnant again without ever seeing AF. You could be pregnant right now! We've seen it happen. I knew one woman who was period free for a decade, but had three babies in that time.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 10, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Quoting kman88:

For those of you that have nursed two babies at the same time (not twins) just a few questions...

how old was the oldest LO when you got AF back!? And could start ttc again? Af came back 5 months both times..we didnt TTC til after 2.5 years

Did being pregnant cause you to stop producing milk!?yeah after about 13 weeks If yes did your LO still try to. Ruse or give up while you were pregnant!?cut back but not stop And how far along were you when you dried up!? 13 weeks

I'm 10week pp and haven't got af yet. I'm thinking way ahead as idk forsure if we will even try for another baby but also wondering bc I'm not on birth control. 

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 10, 2013 at 3:34 PM

:-)  One of my best friends didn't know till she was FIVE MONTHS; she found out when they did an ultrasound for gallstones.

Quoting kman88:

Yes I know!! I'm gonna pick up some dollar tests and prly test every. 4 weeks just to put my mind at ease...not having a period is nice but I would hate to end up pregnant and not know until I start showing or feeling the baby.. (I had no symptoms I was pregnant until heartburn at 18 weeks and started feeling her move around then too) 

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Nov. 10, 2013 at 6:45 PM
My first was 10.5 months when AF returned, we weren't TTC, but I got pregnant with the second when the first was 16 months old. My supply dipped a litte, but nit much ariund 14-15 weeks pregnant, then my milk changed to colostrum at 19-20 weeks, and LO kept nursing despite the change...yay!!! Now I am nursing my 27 month and 6 week olds. :-)
graycalico
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:51 AM
My ds was 11 months when I got af back. I had two periods and then got pregnant. We weren't trying but hasn't talked about preventing either. I lost my milk halfway through but ds kept nursing. He was put off at first when the baby came and I had milk again. Lol after she was born he gained three inches of height in three months. He's 26 months, she's 5.5 months and both are breastfeeding still
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 2:08 AM
I got my period back at six months post partum with both kids. One was bf the other was only partially bf for the first three months. I didn't get pregnant until after a year pp with both of them. I was single when dd was born, but when ds was born I didn't get pregnant until he was over a year old despite having had my period for seven or eight months and not using any form of birth control until I got pregnant. I got the depo shot and then found out two months later I was pregnant. According to my ultrasounds and my own calculations I conceived within a few days of the depo shot.
I'm 35 weeks as of yesterday and my son (21months) still nurses quite a bit. In October my supply decreased dramatically, but I've still got enough milk for him. I've had nursing aversions since before I knew I was pregnant and because he's gotten eight teeth since the nipple sensitivity started during my first trimester, nursing has become a chore. I've also been having contractions when he comfort nurses, usually less than two a day for the past week.
On the plus side, my decreased supply helped get him to stop nursing at night and he doesn't comfort nurse for long periods of time anymore. He's also become a much better eater since even when he wants to nurse before a meal he can still eat all of his food.
Pee on a stick and get on birth control unless you want to get pregnant. You can get pregnant before you get a period, meaning you might not get one at all. It didn't happen to me, but I've heard it on here quite a few times.
I haven't actually tandem nursed yet, since dd wasn't breastfeeding when ds was born and I'm not due until next month.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN