Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Nursing to sleep!?

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 5:01 PM
  • 13 Replies

Sometimes..not all the time but for some reason now & then my DD will want to nurse when she is tired to fall asleep. Most of the time I can just rock her or sing to her. But sometimes she just keeps crying & going for my boob. & I'm pretty sure it's not hunger cause it would be from 45 mins to an hour till her usual feeding. But if I can't get her to settle down & fall asleep so I give in & nurse her to sleep. Is this bad? I really don't want her to get in the habit of it! Also can you over feed a baby from breast milk?

*_live.laugh.love_*

by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 5:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 5:05 PM
No, it is not bad. If she is under a year old, feedings should never be timed or scheduled.
JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Nov. 10, 2013 at 5:16 PM

No, babies are programmed to nurse to sleep, it's not a bad habit and should, in fact be encouraged.

No you can not overfeed a breastfed baby. 

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Nov. 10, 2013 at 5:22 PM
No, but being in the habit of it is natural. My babies nurse to sleep, makes sense since breastmilk contains sleep-inducing hormones like melatonin and babies feel safest at mommy's chest. I couldn't sleep for very long if I didn't feel safe, so I definitely wouldn't expect an infant to. This is normal! :-)
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 5:26 PM
2 moms liked this

The only "bad" thing is not doing it in the first place :-)

Nursing to sleep is like a magic wand, why would you not use it? 

Seriously, it is 100% normal and not in any way forming a "bad habit".

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 6:08 PM

100% normal.  It is a trick I have alway used and will always use. Great for supply as well!

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

poosey08
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:46 PM

My son still nurses to sleep for nap and he's 28 months old! Definitely do this, it's natural and exactly where they want to be :)

mama-smurf
by Felisha on Nov. 10, 2013 at 10:04 PM
My daughter does the same thing. She will refuse paci and want mommy.
JenniferMiller0
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:50 PM

My son is 16 months, will be 17 months on the 14th, and I still nurse him to sleep.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:23 AM
I nursed all 4 of mine to sleep, nearly every night of their nursing days (rather YEARS) and every one of them can now fall asleep on their own. Every other mammal on the planet nurses it's babies to sleep. It's more normal than not. ;-)
notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:25 AM
I feed anytime he seems to want to. 2 hours or 10 minutes after a feeding. It's not bad at all to nurse to sleep.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN