Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Backstory with a few quick questions

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:06 PM
  • 10 Replies

Hi! It's been a loooong time since I posted in here last lol. I was able to breastfeed my toddler until he was around 30 mos old. I was into my 12 wks pf pregnancy at that time, and it just hurt too much. Well, time has passed, and we have a new little nurser! Terra is 5 days old! :D  I am having problems with her nursing, though. She is tiny (6 lbs 1 oz when we left the hospital, both my others were above 7 lbs), and she has a very small mouth. I'm thinking that is the reason she has a shallow latch, only taking in the nipple, not including the surrounding tissue. I'm trying to pry her jaw down and shove the boob in her mouth, but she still ends up with only the nipple. My left nipple is in sooo much pain and has spots that are scabbed over. Do I just need to let time heal it? Is there a quick healing fix? I bought coconut oil initially to use as a lotion/moisturizer, but I know I can use that on my nipple- does it matter if it is in solid form or liquid form?This is my little peanut this morning- Terra Celeste :D

by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Breastmilk on the nipple. Fastest healer on the planet. And every time she gets it wrong, stop her and try again. Het her checked for ties as well; that will keep her from latching correctly.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:43 PM

YES you can use coconut oil on the nipple solid form is what you will find it liquifies based on warmth...your hourse will be awful warm if its liquid.

I agree with Gina have baby checked for tongue and lip tie and work hard to get that deep latch

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Also, you can do the "boobie sandwich"--shape your breast and nipple to get more of it in her mouth. I had the same problem with my daughter; I let her suck her way onto the nipple and had cracked by the time I left the hospital. I used the cigarette hold for several weeks until her mouth got larger and my oversupply/engorgement settled down. Once I corrected her latch, I healed in a few days.
RadMama08
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:31 AM

I'll definitely be looking into the tongue/lip tie thing... she has a weight check on Tuesday because she was born 6 1/2 lbs and was 6lbs 1 oz leaving the hospital. Something I guess they do for smaller babies. This pedi is big on breastfeeding and very encouraging. And yes, the house is warm.. We bought an older house with an inefficient a/c, so to keep the bill down, we have to keep the house at 79... looking forward to the much cooler temps in the next few days!! lol

Kaliryan27
by New Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:09 AM
I had the same problem the first couple weeks as well. My little girl was 6 lbs 8oz so I completely understand the small mouth dilemma. Your little one is beautiful by the way. It took a few weeks but eventually we got a good latch. It also had a lot to do with positioning I realized. I was relying too much on the nursing pillow to support her instead of myself. We tried different holds and eventually found one that works. Good luck!!
Edenpeden
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:12 AM
I just have to say awww hair!!! Shes so cute!
RadMama08
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Thx!!

LHummel
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Breast milk and nipple shields is what healed me up and helped my dd latch better. She didn't have any lip or tongue ties. I used the shields for two days every feeding and was healed up and her latch was much better. After that. Hope you can figure out a solution. Good luck mama and she's a cutie :)

ekh2010
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 4:33 PM
Boobie sandwich worked best for us also but we didnt get it til we did nursing in bed. And bm helped heal mine suoer fast an air drying i was topless for 3-4days
ekh2010
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 4:34 PM
Btw shes adorable!!!!! Congrats
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)