Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

i'm not sure what to do now......

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:21 PM
  • 26 Replies

thi sis Nathan.  Yesterday was his 1st birthday.  

I I were honest with myself and everybody else- I have been ready to wean since about 8 months. The last 2 weeks, he has really slowed down with nursing.  But then yesterday, today and last night- he has nursed almost constantly! I am not sure what to do.  I know it's not going to hurt him to continue to nurse. 

I also realize that the best way to do it is to allow him to wean on his own.  Daddy is fine with him continuing to nurse, so I don't feel pressure from there.  Matter of fat, I don't feel pressure from anywhere- except that I am not enjoying it.  At the same time, I feel bad about forcing him to wean and even sad at the thought of him weaning.  

I'm not sure what to do with all these emotions.  I should also add, that I do struggle with depression and I'm not medicated at the moment, which I am attempting to work on.

by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:24 PM

If the breastfeeding relationship is not enjoyable to BOTH of you, you certainly won't be judged if you consider weaning.  (It's great you have the support of your husband, but he honestly has no say in it.  It's between your son and you only).

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:36 PM
you can also try setting limits. after a year old you can say no if you're not feeling it right then.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:42 PM

You're allowed to set limits. If you don't want to nurse at a given moment, simply say not now. And if you've needed treatment for depression, you could have had that all along so get what you need!

happymommy1105
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:56 PM

i was on zoloft for awhile.  then i lost my insurance.  and i started the process of getting help from the income clinic but it's a long process.

Quoting gdiamante:

You're allowed to set limits. If you don't want to nurse at a given moment, simply say not now. And if you've needed treatment for depression, you could have had that all along so get what you need!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 10, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Ahhh. I thought someone told you that you couldn't do anything because you are breastfeeding. It happens way too often.

Quoting happymommy1105:

i was on zoloft for awhile.  then i lost my insurance.  and i started the process of getting help from the income clinic but it's a long process.

Quoting gdiamante:

happymommy1105
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 10:20 PM

no.  i started taking zoloft when i was pregnant because i have a history of depression.  i took it for awhile.  it worked great.  then i needed a higher dose but when i tried the higher dose i literally couldn't wake up.  so that doesn't work. 

i am trying to get on celexa or lexapro- which i know isn't ideal for breastfeeding but since most of his "meals" will come from food now and since he is older, i feel a bit more comfortable taking it.  

but i have to do 3 appts before i can get meds.  tomorrow i have the first one.

Quoting gdiamante:

Ahhh. I thought someone told you that you couldn't do anything because you are breastfeeding. It happens way too often.

Quoting happymommy1105:

Quoting gdiamante:

Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Not wanting to wean is your maternal instinct. Your baby still needs you. He probably hit a growth spurt recently when his nursing increased. Also, remember that a baby's immune system is not fully developed until much later, about 6 or 7 years old. The more you nurse now, the healthier he will be for the rest of his life. Your antibodies and enzymes cannot be reproduced or duplicated in formula or medicines of any kind. He willl let you know when he is ready to wean. Please hang in there. Any chance you are pregnant again? Maybe that is what you are feeling?

happymommy1105
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 10:46 PM
realistically, yes i could be. but i had my period last month and i due for one again this week or next (never been terribly consistent) and i have seen some "pms" symptoms, so i am pretty she is on her way. i don't remember ocmpletely because it was 8 years ago, but i am pretty sure around this time with my first, i felt done...but then he didn't wean for awhile.
Quoting Kathy489:

Not wanting to wean is your maternal instinct. Your baby still needs you. He probably hit a growth spurt recently when his nursing increased. Also, remember that a baby's immune system is not fully developed until much later, about 6 or 7 years old. The more you nurse now, the healthier he will be for the rest of his life. Your antibodies and enzymes cannot be reproduced or duplicated in formula or medicines of any kind. He willl let you know when he is ready to wean. Please hang in there. Any chance you are pregnant again? Maybe that is what you are feeling?

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Weaning wi cause worse depression, my advice...nurse on demand and do the dont offer dont refuse method. If LO asks to nurse and you just cant deal with it then go ahead and refuse. 3 times a day and no other surce of calcium is needed but even once a day is beneficial for nursing.

You have done awesome nursing a year!!

happymommy1105
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:14 PM

we tried giving him a little milk (cow's) in a sippy.  he got constipated.  

so, i'm going to talk to his ped tomorrow but his big brother has a dairy allergy, and honestly, i just don't eat it cause it hurts my tummy so he hasn't ever had it til the sippy.  i think i am just gonna put it on the NO list and move on.  i don't want to go through the hell i did with my older one. hopefully the ped will agree......

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Weaning wi cause worse depression, my advice...nurse on demand and do the dont offer dont refuse method. If LO asks to nurse and you just cant deal with it then go ahead and refuse. 3 times a day and no other surce of calcium is needed but even once a day is beneficial for nursing.

You have done awesome nursing a year!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)