Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

anxiety! what do i do?

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:04 PM
  • 26 Replies
I have been loosely diagnoses with anxiety. I have had about six attacks since my son was born 5.5mo ago. I've never had this problem before then. There's nothing i can take. My son is ebf and won't take a bottle at all. Do you guys know of any safe for nursing meds that can help me?
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angevil53
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Bump
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Check with lactmed.com or Dr. Hale's Infant Risk Hotline. It may help to have the name of a medication first. There are lots of things that are safe, but most doctors aren't knowledgeable about that, using a CYA stance.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:22 PM
I believe there are things you can take..i would take b vitamins, dissolvable, vitamin D, calcium on top if that. There should also be some herbs that will help, St. Johns wart (?)
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:34 PM

LOTS of things you can take. Whoever told you otherwise was DEAD WRONG. You pretty much cannot rely on what docs tell you regarding meds and mother's milk. They DON'T KNOW.

Zoloft is the number one choice. Paxil is an antianxiety med and is safe too.

BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:35 AM
Zoloft!
angevil53
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:03 AM
She's a dr but she was also a nursing mother. I will call her and see what she thinks about paxil or zoloft, and look aylt the side effects. Thank you ladies.

Quoting gdiamante:

LOTS of things you can take. Whoever told you otherwise was DEAD WRONG. You pretty much cannot rely on what docs tell you regarding meds and mother's milk. They DON'T KNOW.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Zoloft is recommended as first choice by Dr. Thomas Hale, THE leading authority on meds and mother's milk. Getting an OK from him is like getting the Ten Commandments from the hand of Moses himself.

The National Institutes of Health's LactMed database gives the OK to Paxil. 

Quoting angevil53:

She's a dr but she was also a nursing mother. I will call her and see what she thinks about paxil or zoloft, and look aylt the side effects. Thank you ladies.

Quoting gdiamante:

angevil53
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:37 PM
I read a little bit about it and those are both more for depression. I have bad anxiety. I have had panic attacks. My husband says his mom takes this and it makes her really high and sleepy. I don't think i want anything like that. I don't want to feel high at all. I just want to stop having attacks and be able to drive/go places i want without worrying.

Quoting gdiamante:

Zoloft is recommended as first choice by Dr. Thomas Hale, THE leading authority on meds and mother's milk. Getting an OK from him is like getting the Ten Commandments from the hand of Moses himself.

The National Institutes of Health's LactMed database gives the OK to Paxil. 

Quoting angevil53:

Quoting gdiamante:

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:50 PM
I agree with the others. Taking a niacin supplement may help as well and anxiety and depression are related and often entail the same or similar treatment. Hope it gets better for you soon, good luck!
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:55 PM
Also if I recall correctly, cashews are a great source of niacin (B3,) very beneficial for treating anxiety and depression as well.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN