Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Hospital breast pads?

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:13 AM
  • 21 Replies
Hi ladies. I'm currently 36 wks with baby #1 and I'm trying to get my hospital bad together.
I really want to breastfeed but have obviously never done it before.
I guess my questions are:
-Do I need to take breast pads or does the hospital provide them?
- do I even need then in the first couple of days?
- I planning on using disposables so do I change then after every feeding?

Please ladies.. I have no idea. Thanks in advance. :)
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:17 AM
1 mom liked this
I didn't need breast pads in the hospital, I didn't leak until my milk came in. I preferred cloth pads (baby washcloths) to disposables though. I didnt leak for more than a few weeks and the disposables stuck to my cracked and bloody nipples.
You have to change them frequently for sanitary purposes. They get really gross after more than an hour or so depending on how much you're leaking. I don't know if hospitals provide them, because like I said I didn't need them in the hospital. I didn't leak colostrum and my milk didn't come in until I was home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twinmom86
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:23 AM
1 mom liked this
You probably won't need tgem tge first couple of days until your milk comes in. I'm not sure if your hospital will have tgem because some hospitals don't orovide you with anything and others give you TONS of stuff. It just depends on the hospital. As far as changing tgem goes that's up to you. Every feeding is a giid idea but you may need to change tyem more often. If your nipples are in a wet pad (even if it's just a little) they will get irritated very fast. It's best to let tgem air dry as much as possible too. Congrats and good luck!
graycalico
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:34 AM
Take some with you. I just change mine when they're damp. I'm not one of the lucky ones that stop leaking after a few weeks so I need them a long time and haven't found cloth ones that worked for me. I would only get a small package because there are several brands and some may not feel as good as others to you. For me I prefer the lansinoh ones.
sweetspice03
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 2:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I myself didn't need them until my milk came in a few days after dd was born, and changed them whenever they felt damp on my skin.  I used the Lansinoh brand, and they were great.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Nov. 11, 2013 at 3:02 AM
It is unlikely that you will need them in the first couple of days, at least until your milk comes in. My first hospital did give me a few sample pairs, at the hospital where I had my second they didn't give them out, it varies from hospital to hospital. Some women don't leak at all, some leak a lot...I am a like leaky faucet so I am changing them constantly. Lol.
shortyali
by Alicia on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I brought some because I leak. Even the first few days. Change them when they are damp.
SendMeBabyDust
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:08 AM
I'm in California, and the hospital I was at supplied me with a couple of boxes (which I still have). I guess its different for every hospital??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilliesValley
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:12 AM
1 mom liked this
I didn't need them until my milk came in at five days. Anything from pads to clothes makes my sensitive skin have a reaction so I took my own pads with me bc the last thing I wanted after child birth was a rash down there. I think I did take some breast pads with me jic. I change them a few times a day, two or three unless I'm filling them up for some reason.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Nov. 11, 2013 at 7:25 AM
1 mom liked this
I leaked when my milk came in on day 3. My hospital had some samples in the breastfeeding bag I got, but it was only 2, so not enough if you're really leaking while you're there.
NatyRod
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:28 AM
Thx .. I'm in Florida and I haven't really checked if my hospital provides them. But I think it will be a good idea just to take a couple just in case. :)
Quoting SendMeBabyDust:

I'm in California, and the hospital I was at supplied me with a couple of boxes (which I still have). I guess its different for every hospital??

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)