Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

When did you establish mealtime?

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:24 AM
  • 25 Replies
DD was EBF until 6 months then I started introducing solids. By 8 months I got her to eat Breakfast, Lunch, Snack and Dinner on top of 4-5 nursing periods per 24 hours. But she got sick a couple weeks ago so I switched to EBF (to the point her poop was yellow again) and now her mealtime routine is different and she's no longer hungry for solids as much. So I was thinking of just giving her solids again when she's interested and continue to mostly EBF. When did your child start regularly eating 3 meals + a snack per day?
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Around 10-11 months??   Remember that you don't want solids replacing milk at this age, so if 3 meals means less nursing, it's too much.   We did breakfast and dinner for a while because she napped through lunch.   Didn't really get serious about whole meals until she weaned.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:35 AM
2 moms liked this
I don't remember with dd, but ds started having breakfast with me every morning between six and seven months old. He napped during lunch and dinner and wasn't interested in snacks. He then started eating lunch or dinner at around eight months. At one he started getting breakfast, snack, lunch, snack and then dinner because I stopped nursing before meals. Before he turned one he only ate when he wanted to. My schedule didn't change since I have dd on that schedule, but ds just didn't eat with her.
But nursing sessions always come before meals until a year old. So it doesn't matter how many times a baby actually eats food in a day until after that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JamieBue38
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:36 AM
She's hydrated and had good poops. Isn't 4-5 nursing/day normal? Now that she's eating less solids it's more like 5-6/day.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Around 10-11 months??   Remember that you don't want solids replacing milk at this age, so if 3 meals means less nursing, it's too much.   We did breakfast and dinner for a while because she napped through lunch.   Didn't really get serious about whole meals until she weaned.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:40 AM
2 moms liked this
Mine started eating more regularly around 18 months. I say go with EBF until she regains interest, remember foods before one are just for fun. :-) And they don't need to be having 3 square meals and a snack as soon as they turn one, especially if nursing continues, it is a gradual process! Mine did start eating more regularly at 18 months, but still at 27 months, he doesn't always eat 3 meals, there are still days where he will mostly nurse, not a problem. :-)
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:40 AM
1 mom liked this

4-5 was normal for my 2 year olds.  At 8-12 months it was more like 8-10+ times.   Granted, some moms make larger volumes and baby is able to get plenty of milk in 5 sessions, but if the solids mean less nursing, it's too much solids. 

Quoting JamieBue38:

She's hydrated and had good poops. Isn't 4-5 nursing/day normal? Now that she's eating less solids it's more like 5-6/day.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
JamieBue38
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:42 AM
I make a ton of milk that DD has always only nursed from 1 boob per feeding. So I think she's ok as long as her poops are big and soft, right? She has her 9month appt on Thursday and has always been growing normal. I'll try to BF more than solids.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

4-5 was normal for my 2 year olds.  At 8-12 months it was more like 8-10+ times.   Granted, some moms make larger volumes and baby is able to get plenty of milk in 5 sessions, but if the solids mean less nursing, it's too much solids. 

Quoting JamieBue38:

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

JamieBue38
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:44 AM
1 mom liked this
I feel like I'm rushing her! Thanks for the advice! She gets so cranky if I don't share my food so I just give her as much as she can handle. I need to focus on nursing more :)

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

Mine started eating more regularly around 18 months. I say go with EBF until she regains interest, remember foods before one are just for fun. :-) And they don't need to be having 3 square meals and a snack as soon as they turn one, especially if nursing continues, it is a gradual process! Mine did start eating more regularly at 18 months, but still at 27 months, he doesn't always eat 3 meals, there are still days where he will mostly nurse, not a problem. :-)
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:47 AM
Absolutely! :-)

Quoting JamieBue38:

I feel like I'm rushing her! Thanks for the advice! She gets so cranky if I don't share my food so I just give her as much as she can handle. I need to focus on nursing more :)

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:47 AM
2 moms liked this
That's normal, but all babies are supposed to get milk before solids until a year. That's just where their nutrition is supposed to come from. My almost two year old nurses more than five times a day, and was nursing every two to three hours during the day until maybe 16 months when he actually ate more than a bite or two at every meal.
So you can offer solids at every meal as long as you nurse first. I would definitely hold back on the three meals and snacks at this age just because she's already nursing less than she should.

Quoting JamieBue38:

I make a ton of milk that DD has always only nursed from 1 boob per feeding. So I think she's ok as long as her poops are big and soft, right? She has her 9month appt on Thursday and has always been growing normal. I'll try to BF more than solids.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Quoting JamieBue38:

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:31 AM
2 moms liked this
Not till they were between 18 & 24 months. Breastfeeding should be the main source of calories through the first year, with solids only offered after a full nursing session. It doesn't have to be every meal or even every day. Baby-led solids--no cereal, purees or spoon feeding necessary. Small soft pieces of whatever you're having, allowing baby to self feed.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)