Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Milk supply low in evening

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:12 AM
  • 14 Replies
I have plenty of milk through the day maybe even too much but when it becomes evening like after dinner I seem tapped out. Last night was the first night I was ever concerned about it. I couldn't get my baby to sleep. She was tired and getting really fussy. She was on the breast for a long time and still seemed hungry. I happened to have 2oz of breastmilk in fridge from the other day so I warmed it and gave through a bottle. She sucked it down and went right to sleep after. My baby doesn't really like the bottle so she had to be hungry to take it and suck it dry. So that got me thinking...what is going on? I haven't ever had to supplement but I'm wondering if I will? Any thought on this issue. Baby is 3 months today. I typically pump and nurse at the same time every morning to have a bottle to leave with the sitter (I'm gone for 2-3hrs right after that). Other than that I nurse her. She get 1 bottle if she wants it during that time and u would normally nurse her then so it's not like I'm missing a nursing without pumping.
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kaliryan27
by New Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:19 AM
It sounds like her 3 month growth spurt! Whatever you do don't supplement bc then that will make your milk supply go down. If she is feeding often and very fussy then she could be cluster feeding. Which is her way of increasing your milk supply for her growing needs. It makes you think your supply is low when that's not the case. And cluster feeding often happens in the evenings during a baby's fussy time even without a growth spurt. It doesn't sound like you have a supply problem to me. Especially since you can nurse and pump :)
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this
It is normal for milk supply to be a little lower in the evening. As pp said, she is also in the throes of the three month growth spurt. Let her nurse as much as she wants around the clock; this is how she builds your supply. All of this is normal.
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Cluster feedings happen a lot in the evenings . TotAlly normal. She took the bottle
Because she could and it was
Easy.
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:27 AM
2 moms liked this
Supply is naturally lower at night, 100% normal, it just makes them mad when they have to work harder for it . Baby was clusterfeeding, which let's them "tank up" for the night, and also tells your body to keep making milk. It definitely makes it seem like baby is absolutely starving, but that's not how milk production works, you don't just *not* have enough milk at night, milk is always there. I wouldn't give any more bottles at night because that can definitely cause real issues. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jjchick75
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Yep what  others said

KJH618
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Thanks ladies, this is all what a thought so thanks for the reassurance. She sleeps great through the night so I never really gave it a 2nd thought until I couldn't get her to sleep last night.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Quoting KJH618:

Thanks ladies, this is all what a thought so thanks for the reassurance. She sleeps great through the night so I never really gave it a 2nd thought until I couldn't get her to sleep last night.

Uh-oh. Do you have a goat or a lamb to sacrificie to the Gods of Sleep? Now that you've published, she may never sleep so well again! **grin**

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:17 PM
I agree with the others! :-) And babies change their schedules quite often. My first STTN from 8 weeks to 6 months, then he decided to wake 2-3 times a night again as he had before 8 weeks. His sleep patterns changed again at a year and @ 16 months and again at 2 years!
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Oh and my 6 week old has no pattern at all! :-)
KarenM42
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:19 PM
2 moms liked this
I went through the same thing when my baby was that age. I made the mistake of supplementing at bedtime because I was so concerned that I was "starving" him and he was going to bed hungry. Well, my milk supply suffered as a result. I wised up and stopped supplementing, my milk supply got back to where it was, and all was well. It was a bit if a struggle at the time but we got through it. I agree with what the other ladies have said. Good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)