Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Tough time going poo?

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:42 AM
  • 8 Replies

My LO is 6 weeks. I only bf. He seems to struggle so much going poo. He grunts and groans and pushes and usually cries. I'll move his legs around for him and that seems to help.

I thought bf babies pooed really easy? I've changed position so he is sitting more up, or feed laying down to help with fast flow. I only use one side during a feeding to make sure he gets the fatty stuff...

What else can I do? I feel terrible for him, he looks like he hurts so bad!

by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Some babies really hate the sensation of having to poop, and at that age he's still probably trying to get used to it and figure out how it all works. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarasue719
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:58 AM

I hope thats the case! It's so sad!

jjchick75
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Yep I agree sometimes they don't like sensation and it's still new for them. Here is more info about oversupply and things you can do for it because that could also be the problem. But overall not a big worry. I know with my little ones poops always changed around 4-6 weeks. They went from going ever time they nursed to going once a week and before they went they were super gassy and they had a blow out lol. They weren't big fans of it at first but got used to it.

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/

sarasue719
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Kellymom.com is great, that is where I got help with different positions for fast let down! He is really gassy too. He used to poo at every nursing, but now its every few feeds. I guess he is transitioning?

I hope our diapers can handle blow outs, they stink! Lol.

Quoting jjchick75:

Yep I agree sometimes they don't like sensation and it's still new for them. Here is more info about oversupply and things you can do for it because that could also be the problem. But overall not a big worry. I know with my little ones poops always changed around 4-6 weeks. They went from going ever time they nursed to going once a week and before they went they were super gassy and they had a blow out lol. They weren't big fans of it at first but got used to it.

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:24 AM
All 4 of mine were miserable on "poop day". They just despised the workings of their lower GI tract. They weren't happy until they could stand to poop! Pooping while sitting in the Bumbo helped a bit when they were younger than that. But laying down and pooping is awful. Mine seemed successful pooping while in the car seat, or saucer. At 6 weeks I think they just can't get in the proper elimination positions.
sarasue719
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:59 AM

That's an interesting thought! Let gravity do the work! Next time I notice him pushing, I'll sit him upright in my lap and see if that helps!

Quoting mostlymaydays:

All 4 of mine were miserable on "poop day". They just despised the workings of their lower GI tract. They weren't happy until they could stand to poop! Pooping while sitting in the Bumbo helped a bit when they were younger than that. But laying down and pooping is awful. Mine seemed successful pooping while in the car seat, or saucer. At 6 weeks I think they just can't get in the proper elimination positions.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Nov. 11, 2013 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I think this helps a lot. My 6 week old is acting the same as yours. As soon as I realize he is trying to poo, I scoop him up and hold him upright on my chest, settles him right down. :-) I also have OAL and oversupply, these things can also be rough on little tummies, so keep up with trying to manage those. Good luck mama!

Quoting sarasue719:

That's an interesting thought! Let gravity do the work! Next time I notice him pushing, I'll sit him upright in my lap and see if that helps!

Quoting mostlymaydays:

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 11, 2013 at 4:40 PM
I agree with everything said above!^^^
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)