Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How often should she nurse now?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:01 PM
  • 11 Replies

How often should my 6 month old be nursing? We started her on solids and for a while she was still nursing every 3 hours but now its to 4. I know it may not be a big deal, but it feels like it to me! I feel like she should be starving by 3.5 hours lol Also, I've noticed even after I take her off the breast she still suckles sometimes. Normal?? Why is she doing that?

by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:07 PM
She should always nurse immediately before all solids and you should not take her off the breast but let her come off on her own unless she has fallen asleep.
coffeemom37043
by Dare on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Yep, I always nurse first and never take her off until she's done. Thats why I don't understand why she's suckling when she is done

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

She should always nurse immediately before all solids and you should not take her off the breast but let her come off on her own unless she has fallen asleep.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:26 PM
It may just be a comfort thing. Have you tried offering the other side when she does this?

Quoting coffeemom37043:

Yep, I always nurse first and never take her off until she's done. Thats why I don't understand why she's suckling when she is done

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

coffeemom37043
by Dare on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Yeah, after she nurses from both sides and does it, I'll offer the first breast to her again and she'll latch on for 5 seconds and then let go.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

It may just be a comfort thing. Have you tried offering the other side when she does this?

Quoting coffeemom37043:

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Just a relief technique for her. How much and what is she getting by way of solids? It's not supposed to take the place of nursing before age one.
coffeemom37043
by Dare on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:48 PM

It doesn't, at all. She gets solids once, maybe twice depending on when she wakes for the day. And I always nurse first. She gets about 2 tablespoons of a fruit and 2 tablespoons of a veggie

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Just a relief technique for her. How much and what is she getting by way of solids? It's not supposed to take the place of nursing before age one.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:24 AM

There isn't a number. The answer is always "as often as she wants." Make sure she is quite done and not still wanting the breast before you give her "dessert." 

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 1:02 AM
Also, look up baby-led solids. If she can sit in a high chair unsupported, has lost the tongue thrust reflex, and can pick up things, she can self-feed.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Sounds like everything is normal...just nurse before solids and everything will be perfect

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:17 AM
Then my guess is it's just a comfort thing. My sixteen month old still does a suckling motion after he falls asleep.

Quoting coffeemom37043:

Yeah, after she nurses from both sides and does it, I'll offer the first breast to her again and she'll latch on for 5 seconds and then let go.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Quoting coffeemom37043:

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN