Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

pumping at work question.

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:47 PM
  • 28 Replies
I try to only pump at work twice in my 6-8 hrs there as to mot upset other employees. Well I'm not pumping enough to keep up with what my baby uses at daycare. I trad to add more pumping sessions. Is it in my legal right to pump more at work? Would I need a Dr note to keep the peace? I'm so lost. I'm only pumping half that I need, so my freezer supply is almost gone. But I don't want to give formula.
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shortyali
by Alicia on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:53 PM
Yes, as long as your employer has 50 people on payroll they have to give you the time to pump. It doesn't have to be paid time. How much are you sending and able to pump?
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:53 PM
Do yoy pump at home as well?
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:54 PM
How much does yout baby get at work?
queenb87
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:59 PM
His school requires 22 oz a day 5 days a week (yes he eats it all) and I'm only getting 4-6 while at work and I try pumping at home while nursing but at most ill get 8 oz total. But if I pump while nursing then he a ts starved an quits nursing and just screams.

Quoting shortyali:

Yes, as long as your employer has 50 people on payroll they have to give you the time to pump. It doesn't have to be paid time. How much are you sending and able to pump?

queenb87
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:00 PM
His school requires 22 oz a day 5 days a week (yes he eats it all) and I'm only getting 4-6 while at work and I try pumping at home while nursing but at most ill get 8 oz total. But if I pump while nursing then he a ts starved an quits nursing and just screams.

Quoting Precious333:

queenb87
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:05 PM
12 not 22

Quoting queenb87:

Quoting shortyali:

queenb87
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:06 PM
12 not 22

Quoting queenb87:

Quoting Precious333:

KarenM42
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:11 PM
1 mom liked this
There is a federal law protecting your rights. You should look it up online. I think you should pump more at work in order to increase what you are bringing home. I pump at the times that my baby would be eating at home to keep my body on my baby's schedule. I know what it feels like to not want to ruffle feathers at work. I have worked at the same place for 10 years & had never taken 3 breaks a day until I started pumping. At first I worried about what my co-workers thought about me being away 3 times. Then I thought, "who cares! This is what I need to do to feed my baby" and I never gave it a second thought!
shortyali
by Alicia on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:17 PM
So you have to send a full days worth of milk for 6-8 hours???? I would look for another place. They are majorly over feeding him.

Nm. Just saw correction. I would still educate them in the correct way to feed. They are still over feeding him.

Quoting queenb87:His school requires 22 oz a day 5 days a week (yes he eats it all) and I'm only getting 4-6 while at work and I try pumping at home while nursing but at most ill get 8 oz total. But if I pump while nursing then he a ts starved an quits nursing and just screams.

Quoting shortyali:

queenb87
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:18 PM
Most of the people I thought would complain have been super supportive, but I'm just weird about upsetting people.

Quoting KarenM42:

There is a federal law protecting your rights. You should look it up online. I think you should pump more at work in order to increase what you are bringing home. I pump at the times that my baby would be eating at home to keep my body on my baby's schedule. I know what it feels like to not want to ruffle feathers at work. I have worked at the same place for 10 years & had never taken 3 breaks a day until I started pumping. At first I worried about what my co-workers thought about me being away 3 times. Then I thought, "who cares! This is what I need to do to feed my baby" and I never gave it a second thought!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)