Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

My baby will not take a passy...help!

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:45 AM
  • 25 Replies
My baby is one month old and will not take a passy! I can't help but feel guiltly, when we were still in the hospital my fiancé gave him a passy and I flipped out because I didn't want my baby to have nipple confusion, and we haven't gave him one since! He's not a fussy baby what so ever but occasionally when he does fuss the only thing that will calm him down is my nipple! If he's not hungry he just lays there with it in his mouth and let's the milk drain out the other side! If I'm home I don't mind, but if I'm out in public and I just fed him for quite sometime, I don't necessarily want to, and it would be great if I could find a past that worked. I need some advice on what type of passy to use. I've tried soothies and nuk and it's a no go, every time I've offered a passy he's either gagged on it or pushed it out with his tongue. Thank you so much!
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Quoting AxlesMommy:

My baby is one month old and will not take a passy!
SMART BABY! Pacifiers are Mom Replacement Devices. He doesn't want any cheap imitations.
I can't help but feel guiltly, when we were still in the hospital my fiancé gave him a passy and I flipped out because I didn't want my baby to have nipple confusion,
Exactly correct. Nothing to feel guilty about.
and we haven't gave him one since! He's not a fussy baby what so ever but occasionally when he does fuss the only thing that will calm him down is my nipple!
Normal.
If he's not hungry he just lays there with it in his mouth and let's the milk drain out the other side!
Also normal. He'll learn. And so will you. No pacifier necessary here.
If I'm home I don't mind, but if I'm out in public and I just fed him for quite sometime, I don't necessarily want to, and it would be great if I could find a past that worked. I need some advice on what type of passy to use. I've tried soothies and nuk and it's a no go, every time I've offered a passy he's either gagged on it or pushed it out with his tongue. Thank you so much!

I wouldn't bother. Mine spat out every single pacifier too, even though he would take a NUK bottle. You've alreayd hit on a couple of the top choices. Gumdrop is the only other one I can think of.

jjchick75
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Pacifiers are mom replacements. Some babies take them and some don't. Only one of my kids took one. We didn't even give my youngest one. My best advice is get a sling for public do he can nurse and you can still do what you need to do.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:56 AM
Not all babies take pacifiers. I was bottle fed and didn't take one, which made my mom miserable because I was colicky.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cheetah90210
by Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:59 AM
I hate passys
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Nov. 13, 2013 at 1:00 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree^ I offered my first a paci one time, he gagged on it, I realized pacis were mom replacements and never tried thrm again and my second doesn't get them either. Makes sense that babies are comforted at the breast.
JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Nov. 13, 2013 at 1:02 AM

You can't make a baby take a pacifier, and really, I'd avoid them if at all possible.  Sometimes we just have to deal with being inconvenienced.  

amberlyp
by Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 1:03 AM
My four month old is the exact same. Refuses a paci or a bottle
ballerina.2006
by Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 1:20 AM
My oldest is the only one of my three to take a pacifier. Both my boys refused them from day one. My youngest is 4 months and ebf (my other two were on formula by now). Yes it's hard when all they want is to comfort nurse but you need to find other ways to comfort or figure out the cues. I know if my baby is fussy but won't eat he is either poopy or tired. I change him then use either my ring sling or mei tai to finish my errands. He falls asleep within 5 minutes every time!

Sometimes sucking on your finger will help. Teething is also a major discomfort culprit starting around this age too.
ekh2010
by Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 1:22 AM
GumdroP worked for us for a couple months...lifesaver at night so i was able to put him down. He gave it up at 4mo and now only wants booby...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 1:44 AM
1 mom liked this
We are big pacifiers here.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)