Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

my baby was crying while nursing as if he wasnt able to feed any idea why he would be crying?

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 2:29 AM
  • 35 Replies

by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 2:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ZJC
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 3:43 AM
3 moms liked this
My son does the same thing it's usually because they either want to poo or burp. So I just lift him over my shoulder and try to get him to burp. As soon as he burps or poops he goes right back to nursing.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:21 AM
How old is your baby? How many diapers in twenty four hours?
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:22 AM
Profile says one month so my guess is a growth spurt but waiting on the diaper count...

Quoting MusherMaggie:

How old is your baby? How many diapers in twenty four hours?

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:24 AM
Also, does he splutter and choke and come off the breast? That would mean overactive letdown/oversupply, which can be managed.
Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:26 AM

This is what I was thinking.

Quoting ZJC:

My son does the same thing it's usually because they either want to poo or burp. So I just lift him over my shoulder and try to get him to burp. As soon as he burps or poops he goes right back to nursing.

julainepw
by Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:26 AM
Sometimes it's too fast a flow or too slow. Are you waiting for baby to cry before feeding? Are you engorged when baby starts? Also potentially a growth spurt. Or discomfort. Try a couple things and see if it gets better.
mamabens
by Miranda on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:50 AM

If baby is one month you're at growth spurt time. Totally normal behavior. 

Clemency3
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 8:29 PM

After my daughter's 10 day constipation issue...this is what the crying resulted in afterward. At first it was b/c of her constipation and now it is b/c of the gas and poop. 

Quoting ZJC:

teddy111
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:50 PM

thanks for all the replys.

he has started his 7th week and he has a diaper change after every feeding so about 9.

he wasnt choking and coming off, just it seemed he wasnt able to feed for some reason

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:51 PM
If your changing 9 diapers in twenty four hours (remember, poopy counts as two), he's getting plenty. I still think he may be reacting to a strong letdown.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN