Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Sick 14mo. Suggestions?

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:57 AM
  • 7 Replies
My son has had a cold over the past week but over the past 24 hours it's gotten worse. His main symptoms are a low fever (99.5-101.5). We were able to keep it down until about 2:30 this morning when it went up to 102.2 it's back down to 99.5 right now. He's been getting Tylenol every 4-6 hours and I have him dressed lightly.

The other problem is I think he has the runs. His BM's went from a pasty consistancy to almost all liquid. He's probably had close to 15 poopy diapers in the last 24hrs.

Any suggestions?
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Nov. 13, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Is he nursing or drinking/eating anything else? How is he acting?

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Nurse, nurse, nurse, to keep him hydrated. He may not tolerate solids well right now so you may want to just exclusively breastfeed.

Limit the tylenol for when he is acting miserable or listless. There is no danger in having a fever, it can actually help to fight the infection.

hnischke
by Heather on Nov. 13, 2013 at 11:45 AM
He's acting a little grumpy but not too bad. He's been smiley and laughing even this morning when his fever spiked he just wanted to play. I actually kicked DH out of bed to sleep on the couch with out being disturbed by him playing in our bed.

He's been eating 3oz of breast milk every 2-3hrs. He hasn't been eating much for solids this last week just playing with them for the most part.

Quoting stepconfused182:

hnischke
by Heather on Nov. 13, 2013 at 11:47 AM
That's pretty much what's been happening. I'm not a fan of medication unless truly needed. yesterday was the only day he's been given more than one dose.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Nurse, nurse, nurse, to keep him hydrated. He may not tolerate solids well right now so you may want to just exclusively breastfeed.

Limit the tylenol for when he is acting miserable or listless. There is no danger in having a fever, it can actually help to fight the infection.

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Nov. 13, 2013 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this

As long as he is nursing that much and isn't vomiting, then he should stay hydrated. Just watch for dry lips, lack of tears, lethargy and lack of wet diapers. Don't worry about solids at all unless you want to try the BRAT diet and see if he will eat any of that. Keep nursing and cuddling! If you keep having trouble keeping his fever down and he seems to be feeling bad, Ibuprofen works faster, is usually more effective and lasts longer than Tylenol.

Quoting hnischke:

He's acting a little grumpy but not too bad. He's been smiley and laughing even this morning when his fever spiked he just wanted to play. I actually kicked DH out of bed to sleep on the couch with out being disturbed by him playing in our bed.

He's been eating 3oz of breast milk every 2-3hrs. He hasn't been eating much for solids this last week just playing with them for the most part.

Quoting stepconfused182:

hnischke
by Heather on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:11 PM
I guess my main concern are the poops. He's been up for about 2 hours and has pooped about 4 times already. They're all really small and wet.

Quoting stepconfused182:

As long as he is nursing that much and isn't vomiting, then he should stay hydrated. Just watch for dry lips, lack of tears, lethargy and lack of wet diapers. Don't worry about solids at all unless you want to try the BRAT diet and see if he will eat any of that. Keep nursing and cuddling! If you keep having trouble keeping his fever down and he seems to be feeling bad, Ibuprofen works faster, is usually more effective and lasts longer than Tylenol.

Quoting hnischke:

Quoting stepconfused182:

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Nov. 13, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Very likely a virus. As long as he is keeping fluids down and not showing signs of dehydration, there's not really anything that can be done. If the fever persists for another day, I'm sure his doctor will want to see him. I have seen viruses cause diarrhea for 2 weeks before without any other ill effects

Quoting hnischke:

I guess my main concern are the poops. He's been up for about 2 hours and has pooped about 4 times already. They're all really small and wet.

Quoting stepconfused182:

Quoting hnischke:

Quoting stepconfused182:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)