Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Is this ppd?

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:14 PM
  • 15 Replies
My son is 6w old and I panic a lot about sids. I am constantly checking his breathing, sleeping or not. He still seems to gasp for air, almost like he forgot to breathe, and it scares me so bad. If I don't notice the blanket moving up and down while he's sleeping I flip out. I cry about it sometimes. Today at his pediatrician appt the dr mentioned that sids is more common in boys, occurs most frequently at 4m old and for some reason the month of April has the highest incidents of sids. This only made me feel worse. I never had ppd with dd and sids was a serious concern of mine but it wasn't something I constantly freaked out and panicked over. We suffered a miscarriage in October of last year amd a mom in my due date group just lost her son to sids so that made me panic even more. Is this something that will subside on its own? Should I see my dr about it?
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Yes, you need to talk to your doctor. Many medications are safe while breastfeeding. Have the doctor check Dr. Hale's Infant Risk Hotline and lactmed.com. How is nursing going?
K8wizzo
by Kate on Nov. 13, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Talk to your doctor about it.

KenzieQsMommy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Nursing is going great now! We had a rough start but everything is awesome now, thank God!!

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Yes, you need to talk to your doctor. Many medications are safe while breastfeeding. Have the doctor check Dr. Hale's Infant Risk Hotline and lactmed.com. How is nursing going?

melindabelcher
by mel on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Buy an angels care monitor.
KenzieQsMommy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:33 AM
I have considered it but we cant afford one

Quoting melindabelcher:

Buy an angels care monitor.

steffiecox
by Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:39 AM
go see a doctor asap.
KenzieQsMommy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:55 AM
I think I'm going to try to talk to someone. If I see my dr, she'll probably just prescribe me some drug and I'm not a big fan of that kind of treatment

Quoting steffiecox:

go see a doctor asap.

Clemency3
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this

It can subside on it's own if you work at it. After reading about a recent case of SIDS I became paranoid as well, however, have told myself that it won't do me any good to be that paranoid about it. So if you can work yourself through it then it can go away. If not then you might want to consider talking to someone about it. I have PTSD so after my other two I had PPD pretty bad. But I work myself through it now instead of seeing someone b/c I know the cause and no doctor can fix the cause for me. And medications have serious side effects that totally mess with me and don't take away my initial pain so I don't take meds. When I feel panic or anxiety come on I try a few things: 

- closing my eyes and counting to 10 slowly over and over again

- meditate

-take a bubble bath

-sit with my feet grounded to the floor and repeat over and over that everything is ok

Honestly the idea is to get your mind off of it and onto something else. Good luck!

KenzieQsMommy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:04 AM
I think you're in my due date group:)
Thank you, I'm going to try some of your techniques but I think I might try to see someone also. I suffered a couple of tremendous losses last year that I never dealt with and I suspect its feeding my fear of sids.

Quoting Clemency3:

It can subside on it's own if you work at it. After reading about a recent case of SIDS I became paranoid as well, however, have told myself that it won't do me any good to be that paranoid about it. So if you can work yourself through it then it can go away. If not then you might want to consider talking to someone about it. I have PTSD so after my other two I had PPD pretty bad. But I work myself through it now instead of seeing someone b/c I know the cause and no doctor can fix the cause for me. And medications have serious side effects that totally mess with me and don't take away my initial pain so I don't take meds. When I feel panic or anxiety come on I try a few things: 

- closing my eyes and counting to 10 slowly over and over again

- meditate

-take a bubble bath

-sit with my feet grounded to the floor and repeat over and over that everything is ok

Honestly the idea is to get your mind off of it and onto something else. Good luck!

steffiecox
by Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:22 AM
talking about it is always good. I went throud ppd with my first. I didn't like being on the meds. Itvmade me feeling like a zombie. Another thing you could do is find something to distract your mind from it. Some people exercise.

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

I think I'm going to try to talk to someone. If I see my dr, she'll probably just prescribe me some drug and I'm not a big fan of that kind of treatment

Quoting steffiecox:

go see a doctor asap.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)