Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Poo questions :)

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 6:39 AM
  • 6 Replies
My DS is 2wk 4dy today. His diaper at 8pm lastnight and just now at 3:30am had one, about 1/2 inch long string of mucus in each of them. Hes never had this before. I'm curious if its ok or if it could be an issue evolving.
He gets exclusively breast milk. He is bottle and breast fed. Were trying to get to all breast and with some help from you lovelies, were having more and more successes! He has no signs of tummy pains. He doesn't spit up. He eats 2-4oz every 2-4hr, depending. I did a calculator on kellymom.com and it says his intake is fine. Any ideas? Advice?
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 6:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Nov. 14, 2013 at 7:11 AM
Sometimes how a baby acts is more important than what we look at as a symptom. Right now I'd think the mucus is just a normal thing passing through. I remember seeing that occasionally with my babies, sometimes even a little blood. I'd tell you to "just keep an eye on it" but I'm sure you are as our babies have a way of turning us into poop detectives.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:10 AM
Nurse him totally at breast, on demand. He is being overfed with the bottle. It is very important to establish and regulate supply at breast in the first six weeks; pumping and bottlefeeding to soon can actually interfere with the process. Nourishing your baby is YOUR primary job right now; others can help with chores. Bonding with baby does not have to involve feeding; bathing, changing, singing, and rocking can be done by others.

At this stage, his stomach is still very tiny, and he is still learning to nurse. Two ounces is enough, and better coming straight from the breast so that his saliva on your breast "tells" your body exactly how his milk needs to be at that moment. He also is in prime growth spurt mode, so frequent feeding at the breast, on demand, is the best way to ensure supply.
carsonsmommytam
by Tammara on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:22 AM
Thank you!!!

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Sometimes how a baby acts is more important than what we look at as a symptom. Right now I'd think the mucus is just a normal thing passing through. I remember seeing that occasionally with my babies, sometimes even a little blood. I'd tell you to "just keep an eye on it" but I'm sure you are as our babies have a way of turning us into poop detectives.

carsonsmommytam
by Tammara on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:24 AM
Were working on it. He screams at the breast and gets mad fast. Were getting better dsily. At first there was zero nursing. Hopefully soon there will be no bottles.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Nurse him totally at breast, on demand. He is being overfed with the bottle. It is very important to establish and regulate supply at breast in the first six weeks; pumping and bottlefeeding to soon can actually interfere with the process. Nourishing your baby is YOUR primary job right now; others can help with chores. Bonding with baby does not have to involve feeding; bathing, changing, singing, and rocking can be done by others.

At this stage, his stomach is still very tiny, and he is still learning to nurse. Two ounces is enough, and better coming straight from the breast so that his saliva on your breast "tells" your body exactly how his milk needs to be at that moment. He also is in prime growth spurt mode, so frequent feeding at the breast, on demand, is the best way to ensure supply.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:29 AM

A supplemental nursing system is your best tool to get rid of the bottles entirely. The mucus? Not a worry. Keep an eye on it, but I wouldn't worry about it.

carsonsmommytam
by Tammara on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Thank you!

Quoting gdiamante:

A supplemental nursing system is your best tool to get rid of the bottles entirely. The mucus? Not a worry. Keep an eye on it, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)