Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I think I might go insane from the lack of sleep

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:23 AM
  • 19 Replies
baby is 6 months old and for the past 2 months she wakes up every 2 hours at night to eat. Her doctor told me she's growing through a growth spurt. Can a growth spurt really last for 2 months. I don't get help with the baby from anyone. DH works insane over time. My in laws keep telling me to switch my dd to formula and start giving her rice cereal. I don't want to give her formula. And I have my reasons for not wanting to switch her from breast to bottle. I don't agree with giving her rice cereal because its empty calories. I don't get support from family or help taking care of her. I do it on my own.
At night I give dd a warm lavander bath and swaddle her in a warm blanket. I play were her during the day in hopes that it'll make her tired enough to sleep atleast a few hour stretch at night. I have trouble keeping my eyes open and even keeping my balance from being so exhausted. I also have a two year old so catching a nap during the day is nearly impossible. Not to mention I'm not a very plesant person to be around when I don't sleep much.

I was ok with losing sleep during the first few months of baby's life. Now I feel so drained... I need advice... and a good nights sleep.
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Don't try and keep baby up during the day, that could be causing her not to sleep at night.

Do you bed-share or co-sleep?  I get the best sleep that way. That way I can sleep through nursing.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Does she stay awake or wake to nurse and fall back asleep? if the second one then start cosleeping!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Quoting steffiecox:

baby is 6 months old and for the past 2 months she wakes up every 2 hours at night to eat. Her doctor told me she's growing through a growth spurt. Can a growth spurt really last for 2 months.
Not usually. But it's quite normal for a baby this age to not sleep for more than two hours a stretch. It's SIDS defense.
I don't get help with the baby from anyone. DH works insane over time.
This is something you two need to discuss seriously. It can have a detrimental effect on your marriage. Look things over, decide what you can do to reduce his overtime so he doesn't work himself into a heart attack or a divorce.
My in laws keep telling me to switch my dd to formula and start giving her rice cereal.
NO! That can seriously hurt her insides.

I don't want to give her formula. And I have my reasons for not wanting to switch her from breast to bottle. I don't agree with giving her rice cereal because its empty calories. I don't get support from family or help taking care of her. I do it on my own.
Then do what you can on your own. NO HOUSEWORK. I mean that. In-laws want to help> They can pick up a mop or a sponge. You are now in SURVIVAL MODE. No one worth being had "World's Greatest Housekeeper" on her tombstone.
At night I give dd a warm lavander bath and swaddle her in a warm blanket. I play were her during the day in hopes that it'll make her tired enough to sleep atleast a few hour stretch at night. I have trouble keeping my eyes open and even keeping my balance from being so exhausted. I also have a two year old so catching a nap during the day is nearly impossible. Not to mention I'm not a very plesant person to be around when I don't sleep much.

I was ok with losing sleep during the first few months of baby's life. Now I feel so drained... I need advice... and a good nights sleep.

"Death, taxes and never sleeping a full night again" are your three guarantees. Your inlwas can take the two year old off your hands for a few hours a day so you can catch a nap. They'll all love it.

Survival mode. You do ONLY that which is needed to survive. Paper plates. Plastic forks.

Unfortunately there's no way to make baby sleep better; they have to do that on their own. I would bring baby into bed now to get more sleep; it's the only way I managed.

Zazayam
by Nicki on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I highly suggest co-sleeping, it saved my sanity for sure.

micheledo
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Ditto what gdiamante said.

Seriously.  I have six kids under 8 years.  Some days (and especially for several months after a baby is born) a VERY GOOD day simply means that we are all alive and fed at the end.  :D  The house is a disaster.  But one day, in the future, you (and I) will get into a better routine, get a bit more sleep (not a lot more, I promise) and the house will take shape again.

steffiecox
by Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:54 AM
yes I do co sleep I keep her bassnet next to my bed. I want to more into her crib. She'll be too big for the bassnet soon.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

Don't try and keep baby up during the day, that could be causing her not to sleep at night.

Do you bed-share or co-sleep?  I get the best sleep that way. That way I can sleep through nursing.

steffiecox
by Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:01 AM
most of the time she falls back to sleep while nursing. atleast one during the night she's wide a awake and doesn't want to go back to sleep.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Does she stay awake or wake to nurse and fall back asleep? if the second one then start cosleeping!

steffiecox
by Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:26 AM
i have talked to dh about this. The overtime he has been putting in is manitory right now. His job requires him to work as much as he has been and he hasn't had much of a life because of it. He has been understanding, helpful and patient with me when he is home. He admited that he tones me out when I start to lose my cool to avoid us getting into a fight.

I haven't had much help with my 2 yr old either. But I'll see if someone can atleast watch herr for a few hours so I could catch a few z's during the day.

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting steffiecox:

baby is 6 months old and for the past 2 months she wakes up every 2 hours at night to eat. Her doctor told me she's growing through a growth spurt. Can a growth spurt really last for 2 months.
Not usually. But it's quite normal for a baby this age to not sleep for more than two hours a stretch. It's SIDS defense.
I don't get help with the baby from anyone. DH works insane over time.
This is something you two need to discuss seriously. It can have a detrimental effect on your marriage. Look things over, decide what you can do to reduce his overtime so he doesn't work himself into a heart attack or a divorce.
My in laws keep telling me to switch my dd to formula and start giving her rice cereal.
NO! That can seriously hurt her insides.

I don't want to give her formula. And I have my reasons for not wanting to switch her from breast to bottle. I don't agree with giving her rice cereal because its empty calories. I don't get support from family or help taking care of her. I do it on my own.
Then do what you can on your own. NO HOUSEWORK. I mean that. In-laws want to help> They can pick up a mop or a sponge. You are now in SURVIVAL MODE. No one worth being had "World's Greatest Housekeeper" on her tombstone.

"Death, taxes and never sleeping a full night again" are your three guarantees. Your inlwas can take the two year old off your hands for a few hours a day so you can catch a nap. They'll all love it.

Survival mode. You do ONLY that which is needed to survive. Paper plates. Plastic forks.

Unfortunately there's no way to make baby sleep better; they have to do that on their own. I would bring baby into bed now to get more sleep; it's the only way I managed.

JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Try bringing her into bed and seeing if that helps.

Quoting steffiecox:

yes I do co sleep I keep her bassnet next to my bed. I want to more into her crib. She'll be too big for the bassnet soon.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

~Crystal~

Homeschooling Mama to James, Jade, Steven, Willow and Katara
Wifey to Michael since 3-30-05

steffiecox
by Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:33 AM
I'm gonna need a bigger bed. My 2 yr old still sleeps the the bed with me and dh.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

Try bringing her into bed and seeing if that helps.

Quoting steffiecox:

Quoting JadeTigr7:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)