Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any ADHD medicines for Breastfeeding mothers?

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 6:52 AM
  • 7 Replies

Is there any medicine for ADHD that has no risk to baby or that doesn't pass into breastmilk? Or if it does wouldn't hurt baby? 

CafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 6:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Nov. 15, 2013 at 8:09 AM
Yes. What were you on before? We can look it up for you.
krazene
by Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this
I would like to know this, too.
I was on adderal before becoming pg.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Nov. 15, 2013 at 8:50 AM
Read this. There are safer alternatives. http://www.infantrisk.com/forum/showthread.php?162-Adderoll-for-ADHD-while-breast-feeding

Quoting krazene:

krazene
by Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Thank you!

I don't plan on taking adderoll while BFing. My add is all over the place, though.

Quoting K8wizzo:

Read this. There are safer alternatives. http://www.infantrisk.com/forum/showthread.php?162-Adderoll-for-ADHD-while-breast-feeding

Quoting krazene:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PooBearr
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I was on Trileptal and Metadate, one was for bipolar (don't need mecine for now) and the other was for ADHD (forget which was for which). But I talked about both with my Dr. the second I found out I was pregnant and both were risky while pregnant so IDK if they will still be so.

Quoting K8wizzo:

Yes. What were you on before? We can look it up for you.

CafeMom Tickers
PooBearr
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 3:44 PM

LOL I have ADHD bad and still trying to finish school so I can start college asap, and this is killing me. I always forget what's going on or what homework was, always have to be drawing, talking, reading, etc. Can't just sit and listen. It sucks! I wanna TRY meds for JUST a LITTLE while to see if it improves or doesn't. But I don't wanna danger my baby. So Ik how ya feel lol

Quoting krazene:

Thank you!

I don't plan on taking adderoll while BFing. My add is all over the place, though.

Quoting K8wizzo:

Quoting krazene:

CafeMom Tickers
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 4:23 PM
1 mom liked this

The following information comes from MEDICATIONS AND MOTHERS’ MILK by Thomas Hale, 2012.  He assigns every drug a lactation risk category:  L1, safest; L2, safer; L3, moderately safe; L4, possible hazardous; and L5, contraindicated. Possible risks to mother and baby are listed as well as possible effect on milk supply.

For more info you can call Dr. Hale’s InfantRisk hotline at (806) 352-2519

www.infantrisk.org

METHYLPHENIDATE (Ritalin, Concerta, Metadate CD, Metadate ER, Methylin, Daytrana, Focalin XR, Dexmethylphenidate)

Listed as L3, moderately safe; pediatric concerns: none reported in 3 infants, but observe for stimulation, insomnia, anorexia, reduced weight gain.

“In a study of 3 women receiving an average of 52 (35-80) mg/day of methylphenidate, the averagge drug in milk was 19 (13-28)Ug/L. The milk/plasma ratio averaged 2.8 (2-3.6). The absolute infant dose averaged 2.9 (2-4.25) ug/kg/day. The average infant dose was 0.9% (0.7-1.1). These levels are probably too low to be clinically relevant...Methylphenidate was not detected in the infant’s plasma. No adverse effects were noted in any of the infants. It peaks in the milk/plasma 1-3 hours after taking.

The decision about continuing breastfeeding when the mother takes a drug is far more involved than whether the baby will get any in the milk. It also involves taking into consideration the risks of not breastfeeding, for the mother and the baby. And there are plenty of risks in not breastfeeding, so the question essentially boils down to:  Does the addition of a small amount of medication to the mother’s milk make breastfeeding more hazardous than exclusive formula feeding? The answer is almost never. Breastfeeding with a little drug in the milk is almost always safer. Dr, Jack Newman http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/content.php?pagename=doc-B-M

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)