Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Will Birth Control Affect Breast Milk Supply?

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 6:20 AM
  • 9 Replies

My daughter is three weeks and I'm looking forward to getting on birth control soon but I'm not sure if it will have an effect on my breat milk supply like decrease the supply. I really am thinking about getting on the IUD Mirena. Are there any birth control out th ere that is safe and won't decrease my breast milk supply? 

by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 6:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 6:25 AM
Anything with estrogen willy dry up your supply very quickly. Progesterone-only sies also affect some mothers' supply. We always used NFP.
littlemonaghan
by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 6:26 AM
This.

You could look into para guard which does not have hormones but it comes with it's own set of risks.

We use Nfp also

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Anything with estrogen willy dry up your supply very quickly. Progesterone-only sies also affect some mothers' supply. We always used NFP.
nvallad
by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 6:28 AM
I ebf and I have the Paragard iud, which has no hormones. I love it and haven't had any changes in my milk supply.
melindabelcher
by mel on Nov. 16, 2013 at 7:18 AM
Paraguard, mirena, mini pill, codons, diaphram, nfp, depo are all usually safe.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Nov. 16, 2013 at 7:35 AM
You should do a trial w the mini poll first. If the progesterone does affect your supply you can simply stop taking them. If the trial goes fine, then you can still consider the Morena. If you try the Morena first and do have a supply issue you might not get an Appt to get it removed son enough. All that said, most women are fine with the progesterone. Be sure your doctor is clear about possible side effects
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 16, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Estrogen is absolutely off limits. As Stacy said, do a trial run with the minipill before doing the Mirena. Some moms report severe mood swings, continual bleeding and weight gain with anything using progesterone. That includes Mirena. A trial with the pills lets you stop easily if you see any of these effects.

Condoms and charting here. Check out "Taking Charge Of Your Fertility" by Toni Wechsler to learn more about charting.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Nov. 16, 2013 at 1:20 PM
I agree with Gina and Stacy.

Quoting gdiamante:

Estrogen is absolutely off limits. As Stacy said, do a trial run with the minipill before doing the Mirena. Some moms report severe mood swings, continual bleeding and weight gain with anything using progesterone. That includes Mirena. A trial with the pills lets you stop easily if you see any of these effects.

Condoms and charting here. Check out "Taking Charge Of Your Fertility" by Toni Wechsler to learn more about charting.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mikkosmommy
by Jessica on Nov. 16, 2013 at 9:11 PM
I can't handle the mini pill or anything that has progesterone, seriously makes me crazy. I had the paraguard (non hormonal copper iud) while breast feeding. It has some side affects, thick discharge and heavier periods. So if you already tend to bleed heavily that might be a concern. I loved it... Unfortunately I went to the ER for severe pain shortly after I started my period again and a nurse practitioner who ran NO tests removed the iud saying that was what was causing the pain... Well that didn't stop the pain, come to find out I had ovarian cysts, the iud was not causing the pain.
JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Nov. 16, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Yep, been using NFP for the past 8 years and have never gotten pregnant when we haven't wanted to be.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

~Crystal~

Homeschooling Mama to James, Jade, Steven, Willow and Katara
Wifey to Michael since 3-30-05

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)