Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Is this normal diaper count for four days old?

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 12:02 PM
  • 29 Replies
Ds was born 11-12-13. He nurses often. Usually he will nurse for 30-60 minutes total for both sides and then again an hour later during the day. Every 2-3 hours at night. 7#6 at birth 7# at discharge and haven't checked weight since. This is our second day home.

So far today he's had three dirty diapers (3a, 7a, and again just now). No just wet diapers yet.

Due to shallow latch the first day I have a slightly cracked nipple but the pain only lasts a second or two upon latch. He has a good latch now. Some skin sloughed off my nipples this morning but no discomfort with it. He seems to be a champion nurser.

He's a big comfort nurser as well but I assume the more he's at the breast the more well established we will be. I've bf two other children but never made it past seven months. I'm setting small goals this time. Every day of nursing is another success in my book. Ultimate goal: one year minimum.

Just wondering if this all sounds good?

Eta:
Milk came in night before last. Breasts are huge hard and very sore. Even with all the nursing they don't soften. He's obviously getting milk bc its on his chin and he's satisfied when he pushes away. Tried pumping this morning and got three oz total. Will this even out soon on e my body realizes how much we need?
by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Nov. 16, 2013 at 12:10 PM
That's a diaper count of six... way more than needed. He's doing fine.
PooBearr
by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 12:32 PM

If nursing him isn't really helping then I would get apump and you will have tons of extra if need to go out have babysitter etc. :) It takes a few days/weeks for it to settle in. Now after 6 m I barely get rock hard full b/c my breasts know when i pump and when baby eats and don't make the milk until right on time :) 

CafeMom Tickers
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Nov. 16, 2013 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this
No! OP, engorgement is normal and expected right now. Put the pump away. It will only make engorgement worse. Hand express as needed for comfort but rely solely on baby to establish and adjust supply for a few weeks. A pump will tell you to make more and then you'll be running into issues with oversupply, clogged ducts and mastitis. Diaper count is fine.

Quoting PooBearr:

If nursing him isn't really helping then I would get apump and you will have tons of extra if need to go out have babysitter etc. :) It takes a few days/weeks for it to settle in. Now after 6 m I barely get rock hard full b/c my breasts know when i pump and when baby eats and don't make the milk until right on time :) 

staci1103
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Sounds like diaper count is great:) Pumping is not going to help only hurt. Let the baby establish the supply and demand, it takes a little time but seems like ur on the right track. Congrats on ur LO
LilliesValley
by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 12:52 PM

it will even out. i had similar experience with my 5week old down tio nipples having the sloughing skin! i had to massage them with my hands and use a warm compress. the more you pump the more it will signal to your breasts to make more so you may want to just pump  little for a little relief. i believe you are supposed to have 4 diapers at least on day four, then five on five and then at least 6-8 from day 6 on. is it bad i cant remember that far back now? lol. dd still poops with every diaper, even a little fart has poop for her so i wouldn't worry about the fact that each diaper has poo. baby is trying to move meconium out and the little bit of colostrum is helping baby poop more. sounds like you're on the right track. good luck.

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 1:00 PM
Awesome diaper count!
hip2it
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 1:17 PM

It was still meconium at 3a but the other two were normal. Dh was laughing bc I was so excited to be done with the tar and have normal poop. Even though Dh has easily changed him more than I have. I have a third degree episiotomy and hemorrhoid so from hell from delivery so I'm not moving around much. 

Quoting LilliesValley:

it will even out. i had similar experience with my 5week old down tio nipples having the sloughing skin! i had to massage them with my hands and use a warm compress. the more you pump the more it will signal to your breasts to make more so you may want to just pump  little for a little relief. i believe you are supposed to have 4 diapers at least on day four, then five on five and then at least 6-8 from day 6 on. is it bad i cant remember that far back now? lol. dd still poops with every diaper, even a little fart has poop for her so i wouldn't worry about the fact that each diaper has poo. baby is trying to move meconium out and the little bit of colostrum is helping baby poop more. sounds like you're on the right track. good luck.

LilliesValley
by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 1:36 PM

yikes. best hemroid relief i know is to grate up a potato and put it in some cheese cloth in apply to affected area. if you let the potatoes soak grated overnight in water and then rinse them even better. one potato grated can make three cheese cloth applications. i leave them in my butt crack for two to fiyr hours.

i've had two hemroids surgiically removed, one while pregnant so i get them bad.

Quoting hip2it:

It was still meconium at 3a but the other two were normal. Dh was laughing bc I was so excited to be done with the tar and have normal poop. Even though Dh has easily changed him more than I have. I have a third degree episiotomy and hemorrhoid so from hell from delivery so I'm not moving around much. 

Quoting LilliesValley:

hip2it
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I've been in so much pain I'm definitely going to try that!

Quoting LilliesValley:

yikes. best hemroid relief i know is to grate up a potato and put it in some cheese cloth in apply to affected area. if you let the potatoes soak grated overnight in water and then rinse them even better. one potato grated can make three cheese cloth applications. i leave them in my butt crack for two to fiyr hours.

i've had two hemroids surgiically removed, one while pregnant so i get them bad.

Quoting hip2it:

Quoting LilliesValley:

LilliesValley
by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 1:52 PM

if you have any questions let me know. i found it on cm, researched it and finally got desperate enough to try it with my second pregnancy bc nothing otc or prescription was doing it and i didnt want to have another surgically removed. i started with a potato just cut and shoved in the general area but not up anything. the grating and cheese cloth works best though imo. oh and peel the potato before grating.

Quoting hip2it:

I've been in so much pain I'm definitely going to try that!

Quoting LilliesValley:

Quoting hip2it:

Quoting LilliesValley:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)