Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

8 day old baby and mastitis

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 10:53 AM
  • 31 Replies

Mobile Photo

Left breast started hurting last night. Now I've got red spots on it. Chills and body aches and headache but no fever. Probably bc I'm still on Tylenol 3 for the third degree episiotomy. Called LC and am now alternating heat and cold compresses, nursing frequently and pumping that side. That's the side that does and always has produced nearly double what my right side produces.

I didn't realize mastitis was painful. Feels like a really severe bruise.
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 10:59 AM
Yes. You're doing all the right things, but if you're no better in the next 24 hours, call the doctor about some antibiotic. They are plenty safe while nursing, and will stop any infection. Congratulations on your new baby,! Let us know if we can be of help.
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 11:03 AM

I have had mastitis. It sucks!  I ended having to get antibiotics.  I was 24 hours away from being admitted in the hospital.  I was in denial.  :(  You're doing everything right.  Good luck!

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

hip2it
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 11:04 AM
I'm waiting for the Tylenol to wear off to see if I have a fever. I'm thinking of calling my ob and getting antibiotics anyway. But then don't I need to take a probiotic also to avoid thrush? Idk anything about probiotics. Is there a certain one?

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Yes. You're doing all the right things, but if you're no better in the next 24 hours, call the doctor about some antibiotic. They are plenty safe while nursing, and will stop any infection. Congratulations on your new baby,! Let us know if we can be of help.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 11:41 AM
Yes on both counts. The one with the most cultures you can afford. Take the probiotic two hours after the dose of antibiotics. I like to take it for a couple of weeks after I finish the round of antibiotics, as well.
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Nov. 21, 2013 at 11:41 AM
http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/mastitis/

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/dangle-feeding/

These may help.
JennyLee24
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Massage helps when feeding..i had it when ds was about 3wks old..needed antibiotics for it. It sucks. :( hope u get better soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JennyLee24
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:40 PM
My doctor prescribed Dicloxacillin 250 mg capsules 4x's a day and i didnt get thrush. I was aslo worried about that like u but she said this is the drug of choice for mastitis and less likely to get thrush...and i didnt. :) i felt better as soon as i started the meds.

Quoting hip2it:

I'm waiting for the Tylenol to wear off to see if I have a fever. I'm thinking of calling my ob and getting antibiotics anyway. But then don't I need to take a probiotic also to avoid thrush? Idk anything about probiotics. Is there a certain one?

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hip2it
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:16 PM
That's what my ob gave me. How did you mentally get through mastitis? Idk what's worse the breast pain the migraine or the chills. I've considered sending dh for formula but I feel like a failure for even thinking it.

Quoting JennyLee24:

My doctor prescribed Dicloxacillin 250 mg capsules 4x's a day and i didnt get thrush. I was aslo worried about that like u but she said this is the drug of choice for mastitis and less likely to get thrush...and i didnt. :) i felt better as soon as i started the meds.

Quoting hip2it:

Quoting MusherMaggie:

hip2it
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:20 PM
Idk if the dangle feeding is helping the mastitis but it does create a much better latch and there's less nipple pain. The pump is killing my nipples even on the lowest setting but I think that's due to having sore nipples to begin with.

I'm nursing, pumping, nursing then immediately pumping and still feel full. I'm only getting .5-1 oz from the mastitis side. Usually get 1-2.5. My other side isn't giving me as much either. Hand expressing literally gives me a drop or two.

I managed two antibiotic pills today. Have to take it every right hours. Hopefully it kicks in fast.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/mastitis/

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/dangle-feeding/

These may help.
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:27 PM

At only 8 days out you really need to start antibiotics ASAP. You have the chills and the aches, you don't need to stop the tylenol for "proof". Definitely call for the anitbiotics!

Quoting hip2it:

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)