Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

UPDATE: percent or weight gain?

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:13 PM
  • 50 Replies
UPDATE: We had the barium swallow this morning. Baby drank the chalky stuff no problem. Within 30 minutes she was a different baby. At the end of the test she was laying on the x-ray table talking/cooing at the tech. The rest of the day she was a sweet heart and ate like a champ ALL day. She literally has been at the breast constantly with little play breaks in between. I am thinking the thick, chalky stuff coated her belly. Test results came back fine, no stomach or intestine problems. They did see her reflux twice but my pedi said they didn't watch as long as she wanted them too. Next two steps is the GI doctor and an EKG to rule out neurological problems. I told my pedi about the barium making baby happy and she told the GI doc and called me back and he said he is looking into a few different liquids that will coat her throat/tummy but no answers yet. ....

I know I have heard ya'll say don't worry about percentile (the pedi said the same), but Gemma is just worrying me.  She hasn't been eating well but actually gained 6ounces in 9 days... I have not clue how this is possible since she has only ate like 6 times in 48 hours.  Anyway the ibclc said her weight gain is low- she wants to see an ounce a day.  The pedi is watching her closely but didn't say anything because she is waiting for other test results.  Here is a full history

Born 9/3/13 at 6.10 

9/5  6.4

9/6 6.3

9/17  6.9

9/27  7.10 (16th percentile)

10/11  8.6 (17.1 percentile)

11/5  9.6  (14.1 pecentile)

11/12 9.10

11/21  10 (12.7 percentile)

All of this except the first 2 were on the same scale, naked except for a clean diaper.  And like I said, I am unsure how she gained 6 ounces in the last 9 days even.  I am literally tricking her to get her to eat- I put her to sleep and when she is out I swap her pacifier for the breast, but this only works occasionally.  Just wanted your opinions on weight gain.  I read on Kellymom, 5-7 ounces a week, but 4 ounces is ok too.  I just keep seeing the percentile drop and drop,  I am pretty sure (I didn't ask today but remember her mentioning it with my older kid) that she follows WHO guidelines for bf babies

by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:34 PM
Percentages are largely meaningless; you cannot compare babies to other babies, much less bottlefed babies to breastfed babies. Diaper count is your true indicator; a minimum of six diapers per 24 hours, with poopy diapers counting as two.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:36 PM
Is she having latching issues? Was she checked for lip or tongue ties,? Do you have overactive letdown/oversupply?
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this
She's gaining well! Percentiles are meaningless.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Has she always been sleepy? If not, she might just be at the end of a growth spurt.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Just looked at her gain again. She's actually ahead of the game.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:49 PM
Why are you weighing si often? And what happened where she only ate 6 times in 48 hours? Was she sleeping? Refusing to nurse?
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:54 PM
An ounce a day is too much. That would be two pounds per month. That would give you a 30 + , twelve month old.
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:55 PM

I'm more concerned about the behavior you describe than the weight gain. Why is she having such a hard time eating? Why did she only eat 6 times in 48 hrs? I know you are working with an IBCLC, what is she saying about these behaviors?

The fact that you are worried is significant. You sound like your mommy gut is talking to you and you are trying to listen to it. Some moms worry too much, but it is also a good idea to listen to your gut.

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:58 PM

I took a quick glance at your other posts and see that reflux is a possible issue. I would not worry so much about the weight, but try and find out why baby is so miserable!

Did you try cutting diary out of your diet? 

I doubt it could be oversupply because baby usually gains excessively when that is the case.

JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:59 PM

ALL of my kids dropped percentiles from birth.

She's gained more than the required for a breastfed baby.  She's fine. 

~Crystal~

Homeschooling Mama to James, Jade, Steven, Willow and Katara
Wifey to Michael since 3-30-05

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)