Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Hand foot mouth disease and breastfeeding

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 6:54 PM
  • 9 Replies
So I just found out my daughter has hand foot mouth disease :( and I'm wondering can she pass it along to me when she's breastfeeding? Should I expect to get sores on my breasts? Is there anything I can do to prevent that? Anyone ever experience this while breastfeeding? She's only 15mo and I'm grateful she's still breast fed bc he refuses to eat or drink much of anything else right now. TIA!!!!
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 6:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Nov. 21, 2013 at 7:17 PM
It's very rare that an adult will get it. My dd was exposed to it twice while I nursed her and she actually got it the second time. I didn't get anything either time.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:01 PM

My friend's ebf dd had hand, foot and mouth. Friend didn't get it, but strangely her husband did, blisters on his hands if I recall. 

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:03 PM
I nursed while my children while we had a virus similar to that (it was only in the mouth). Keep nursing, its fine :) just be sure not to share drinks etc., its very contageous otherwise.
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:14 PM

You were already exposed to the virus long before her rash broke out. If you do get it, it is not from her nursing/having contact with your breasts, and you would get the rash in the "usual" places (hand, foot, mouth).

I have lots of friends who have nursed toddlers through HFM and none of them got it.

I got it from my kids when they were 3 and 5, not nursing.

poosey08
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 10:21 PM

My son had it while breastfeeding. I never got it, but my husband did! Hope he feels better soon!

ncoates04
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Hand foot mouth is spread through the contact of the fluid within the sores....nursing wont make you catch it unless you are kissing on the child with open sores in their mouth or if they have open sores elsewhere and you have cuts and the come in contact....its similar to chicken pox from my understandings
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RadMama08
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 1:52 AM

DS had it summer of 2012. Horrible stuff! Only thing he wanted to do was nurse, didn't want to eat or drink anything really... I never got it from him nursing... Hope your LO feels better soon!!

levansbx
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 8:13 AM
exact same thing happened to us. when dd was 10 months old she caught it. we nursed through it and I never caught it but dh did...blisters on his hands and unbearably sore finger nails.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

My friend's ebf dd had hand, foot and mouth. Friend didn't get it, but strangely her husband did, blisters on his hands if I recall. 

Thunderbug75
by Amanda on Nov. 22, 2013 at 9:13 AM

My DS never has had HFM but I have been exposed to it and uncountable amount of times thru work.  I have never caught it.  But it is a horrible disease.  Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)