Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Breast super empty after a work and pumping day.

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 7:12 PM
  • 17 Replies

So I was wondering to all the working moms if this is something that happens to you. I work 8 hours shift. I breastfeed before I leave to work at 6 am, I pump at work at 9am and 12, and i breastfeed soon as I pick my 6 month old at 4pm, but each day that i have to work and do this by the time I get home my breast are super empty and my baby breastfeed ALL the rest of the evening plus nigh. His diaper count goes down the next day (He normally will have 3 very heavy wet diapers and 1 poop in the morning) and it goes down to 1 light wet diaper in the morning(it catch up later on the day).It takes me  good 2 days to feel my breast back to norma(not working)l. I don't supplement at all. He is breastfeeding only. But Why is this happening? Why do I have a low supply when i get home? 

THANKS FOR YOU ADVISING

by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 7:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamabens
by Miranda on Nov. 21, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Your breasts are never empty. They aren't storage containers they are factories. How much is baby getting while you're gone? Could he be reverse cycling?(not eating much while you're gone but making up when you're together)

mamabens
by Miranda on Nov. 21, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Oh and what do you mean by your breasts getting back to normal? If you mean they aren't full  and engorged that's good. Full boobs tell your body to stop making milk. Soft boobs are working boobs

Verolo7147
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 7:20 PM

He eats from 11 to 14 oz while I'm gone in a normal day, but some days he only eats 7oz. But he might be reverse cycling like you say.

I am worry that my supply is going down. At work I pumped 17 oz. Am i pumping too much?Should I cut 1 pumping down?

Verolo7147
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 7:24 PM

when i say breast going back to normal, i mean that they  get a little full. 

But if they are empty i was worry that i wasn't producing more milk! so good to know that i am still producing milk!

shortyali
by Alicia on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:06 PM
How long are you gone for? He may be getting fussy at night because he's being over fed during the day, possiable not definite.
A soft floppy breast is a working one. If you feel engorged then your body is saying slow down and to stop production.

Quoting Verolo7147:

He eats from 11 to 14 oz while I'm gone in a normal day, but some days he only eats 7oz. But he might be reverse cycling like you say.

I am worry that my supply is going down. At work I pumped 17 oz. Am i pumping too much?Should I cut 1 pumping down?

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:15 PM

He only needs 1-1.25 ounces of milk per hour of speration in servings of no more than 3 ounces every 2.5 to 3 hours. How long are you at work? How often are you pumping? 17 ounces is a lot to pump in a typical working day. Also your breasts are NEVER empty, it's a supply and demand process, and most moms start out with an oversupply, that usually regulates in the first few months and they start feeling floppy and not full, this is supposed to happen, yet some moms though few and far between, see a regulation in supply much later, like you seem to be experiencing.

Quoting Verolo7147:

when i say breast going back to normal, i mean that they  get a little full. 

But if they are empty i was worry that i wasn't producing more milk! so good to know that i am still producing milk!

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:24 PM
Realistically, he should probably only be getting 6-8 ounces anyways, assuming that you are separated for 8-10 hours and that you nurse directly before drop-off and directly after pick-up. I also agree that he may be comfort nursing from being overfed at daycare, but it is possible that he is just hungry and or misses you and is nursing for those reasons.
Quoting Verolo7147:

Verolo7147
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:26 PM

I am away from him 10 hours. I feed at 6am before I leave to work, at 9am and 12 . I have experience a lo of problems with oversupply.(you should see my freezer it's full!) (also i have had 3 mastitis and  2 plug ducts cause for oversupply and wrong antibiotics) so maybe I am having FINALLY a regulation. My hours at work very every week, sometimes I work 2 times a week, some other days 3-4 days a week.

Thank you 

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Floppy boobs are working boobs! Feeling full is bad, you want gloppy. It doesn't mean there's not plenty of milk in there. For ten hour days you really don't want to send more than twelve ounces.
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:36 PM
Sure, I know exactly how you feel! I had massive oversupply with my first 2 bouts of mastitis by 2 months, and abscess at 3 months, clogged ducts at least once a month, had to but a deep freezer for my pumped milk only. Threw away 3000 ounces (half because I thought it was bad, and the other half because my DH unplugged the freezer and forgot to plug it back in!) Donated 5500 ounces....etc. Oversupply can be daunting.
Quoting Verolo7147:

I am away from him 10 hours. I feed at 6am before I leave to work, at 9am and 12 . I have experience a lo of problems with oversupply.(you should see my freezer it's full!) (also i have had 3 mastitis and  2 plug ducts cause for oversupply and wrong antibiotics) so maybe I am having FINALLY a regulation. My hours at work very every week, sometimes I work 2 times a week, some other days 3-4 days a week.

Thank you 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)