Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

OT Need to vent!!

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2013 at 11:31 PM
  • 6 Replies

I'm so done hosting holiday parties!! This has gotten to be an expensive day!! 

I hosted my dad's sister and her family, my dad's mom, and my two brothers.

I got of work at 4pm yesterday.  DH had to work yesterday 5pm- 7am, and again today 3pm-?? so I've pretty much done everything solo (COoking, clean up, etc).  everyone got here last night. 

I purchased all of the food except the pumpkin pie, and the turkey. (Including ham dinner last night, bacon and eggs for breakfast today, all of the sides today, all of the wine and beer).  

My brother's dog has peed on the floor at least 10 times (meaning we have to have the carpets shampood, since we are renting), chewed up three of DDs toys (she's almost two, so this was devastating for her)  The toys were picked up and put away in her room but my cousins left the door to her room open (after being asked multiple times to keep the bedrooms shut) and he got them out. 

Now tonight my cousins knocked over the wii (well we're assuming we did) We all heard a loud crash, then they came downstairs and said the wii won't turn on, and that the power strip accidentally got turned off.  My little bro went to look at it and asked them if it feel on the power input (since it looked liked the prongs were bent) And they got all quiet and wouldn't answer. (They're 13 and 12).  

Ugh!  I really don't care too much about DD's toys.  (The stuffed animal is getting some stitches, and we can replace the plastic rhino, the rubber ducky from the Peabody hotel from our Memphis vacation is a lost cause though).  The wii p*sses me off, not because it's broken but because they fricken LIED about it and thought I was dumb enough to buy the lie!! 

Ugh I love my family but sheesh! I'm ready for a few days home alone to unwind!  

by on Nov. 28, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
jjchick75
by Silver Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 1:09 AM
5 moms liked this
That really sucks! I had 38 people in my house, 24 of which are children between the ages of 9 months and 17 years old and nothing got broke or once even spilled lol. I am sorry your holiday was so stressful. The only negative thing that happened was my almost 2 year old son was getting crabby by the time we ate and wanted to nurse. So I was in a place where I could stop for a few minutes and I nursed him. Then we ate. He ate a few bites of Turkey, some sweet potatoes, and some pieces of fruit. For him that's pretty good. He'll pretty much eat anything but doesn't eat a bunch of it. I don't see it as a big deal. He was overdo for a nap by then and was once again cranky so I started nursing him. My cousin said "If you gave him less of that *pointing to my nursing child* he'd eat more real food!". I said "He'll eat more when he needs more.". Later I heard her ask my aunt "did you see her just plop out her breast right at the table?" To which my aunt responded "It's her house. If she wanted to sit there naked from the waist up, she could. Besides she's giving her kid the best nutrition, get over it" I said "Right on Auntie!" Lol.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Nov. 29, 2013 at 1:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Why did they bring that dog into your house? I can't imagine bringing an incontinent dog that chews toys into someone else's house, that they're renting. Sore subject to me bc my bil brought his dog to my inlaws' today. They don't have kids so this poorly socialized dog was getting skittish around my inlaws dog and my kids and it snapped at my 13 year old and growled at my 4 year old. They let their dog do whatever it pleases, like a spoiled unsupervised teenager. Last Christmas the dog snapped at my youngest and her face was bleeding. They're the people that travel everywhere with their dog. We get to spend a week with it this summer on vacation because they refuse to board it, ever. Yet we have to board our own dog because the vacation home only allows 2 dogs, and my inlaws dog is going, too. Another dog that is poorly socialized and skittish with other dogs.

I don't understand why people would let their pets or kids run amok in someone else's house. Like they're happy the kids are out of their hair while they enjoy themselves, meanwhile the kids are breaking stuff. I had to get out of our neighborhood playgroup because it was all about the moms sitting at a table sipping coffee and gossiping while the kids trashed the house and attacked each other.

Thanks for letting ME vent. I feel your pain. They were out and line. You should be able to assume family will have more respect.
japanmommy
by Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 2:17 AM
Tell them if it ever draws your kids blood again you'll turn them in. That'll probably scare them.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Why did they bring that dog into your house? I can't imagine bringing an incontinent dog that chews toys into someone else's house, that they're renting. Sore subject to me bc my bil brought his dog to my inlaws' today. They don't have kids so this poorly socialized dog was getting skittish around my inlaws dog and my kids and it snapped at my 13 year old and growled at my 4 year old. They let their dog do whatever it pleases, like a spoiled unsupervised teenager. Last Christmas the dog snapped at my youngest and her face was bleeding. They're the people that travel everywhere with their dog. We get to spend a week with it this summer on vacation because they refuse to board it, ever. Yet we have to board our own dog because the vacation home only allows 2 dogs, and my inlaws dog is going, too. Another dog that is poorly socialized and skittish with other dogs.

I don't understand why people would let their pets or kids run amok in someone else's house. Like they're happy the kids are out of their hair while they enjoy themselves, meanwhile the kids are breaking stuff. I had to get out of our neighborhood playgroup because it was all about the moms sitting at a table sipping coffee and gossiping while the kids trashed the house and attacked each other.

Thanks for letting ME vent. I feel your pain. They were out and line. You should be able to assume family will have more respect.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on Nov. 29, 2013 at 10:00 AM

This is one reason why I don't host things. Also I'd be damned if I let someone visit and bring their dog! 

LilliesValley
by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 10:04 AM
This is a reason why I'm glad I have a small house. No room for all that bs.
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:59 PM
Update! It continues! So I had all of dds toys sorted in the basement. In one corner I had all of her toys that she currently plays with sorted into 4 totes. In boxes under the stairs I have special baby toys to save for the next baby, in another corner boxed up there are toys priced and ready to go for my rummage sale in the spring, and in the middle is a little play area with some toys for when ilm on the treadmill or doing laundry. Well my 12 and 13 yo cousins took dd down to play. I didn't think anything of it. Just asked them to clean up after themselves. Well I went to rotate dds toys out tonight and find out what they did... They must have had ALL the toys out because I'm finding no organization that was there before. Baby toys and rummage sale items all dumped in together! Then I go to check the play kitchen and find a bowl of Cheerios and a glass of water that's been sitting in there since thanksgiving! Seriously! 1.) the 12 and 13 yo should be old enough to know not to dig through boxes under the stairs! And 2.) when I ask if you cleaned up and you say yes I shouldn't have to go back and check for food! I guess I never thought to look in the fridge since dd never plays with the kitchen. (She prefers her megablocks). Grrr! I'm so irritated I'm ready to pack up all of the toys and take them to a daycare or something! (But that's not the right decision, I know).
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN