Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

new and have a question

Posted by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 12:02 AM
  • 6 Replies
My daughter was born a week ago and nursing started out very rough. I nursed my third son for two month but it was very difficult for me. This time around we started off nursing with a great latch. But I could not for the life of me get her to eat. No matter what I tried she just refused to latch. I did not give into formula cause I was determined to ebf. So we just kept at it. When we left the hospital two days after she was born she was down 6oz from her birth weight but of course thats normal for newborns to lose some weight. We got home sunday the 24th and on tuesday the 26th we had a newborn check at the doctors office. She had dropped another 5oz. Dr said to give my milk a chance to come in and we will re weigh her next week. My milk was still not in yet and nursing was still tough but i still did not give into formula. We were still nursing and I put her to the breast as much as possible. She would only nurse at most 4min every 3 hours. So of course I was worried she wasnt getting enough because she only would have at most two wet diaper and no dirty ones a day. Yesterday (Wednesday the 27th) my milk finally came in full force. But when we came home she had a terrible latch and my nipples started cracking and nursing was painful. I used a nipple shield all day yesterday to give me a break. Well with my milk in and using the nipple shield she would nurse at least 20 minutes every 2-3 hours. Well today my nipples were much better so I took off the shield and really worked with her latch and today has been great with no pain when nursing.

Ok so now my question. With the shield she would nurse at least 20 min but now that the shield is off she will only nurse between 5-10 minutes. Is that normal for babies to nurse longer with a shield? Is it harder for them to express the milk? I know she has been getting enough today because she has been having enough wet diaper today (no dirty) so im not worried she isnt getting the milk. I was just curious as to why today she is lessening her time at the breast. This is new for me.

I also have a question about diapers. Im pretty sure 6 wet diapers a day is great but what about dirty? Since being home she has pooped twice. Once on monday and it was still the black tar poop and then once yesterday which was still dark but it was now runny. Should I worry that she isnt pooping everyday? With my last baby he was pooping a few times a day by a week old and it was the yellow seedy poop.

Sorry for this long post but I need help. I dont wanna give up especially since I worked out her latch and have not gave into supplementing when some people have told me to.
by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
jean_marie1987
by Bronze Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Not sure about the shield; it never worked for me.
Bump.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 12:16 AM
It is harder for them to get milk out with the shield. And yes, she should still be doing 2 quarter sized poops each day. Wake her to nurse, switch sides during feedings. Was she checked for lip or tongue ties? Is she jaundiced? Undress her to her diaper, keep her in skin-to-skin contact with you even when she is not nursing, and offer the breast every time she wiggles. Keep us posted as to diaper count.
december_mama
by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 12:35 AM
I have been waking her to nurse every 2-3 hours otherwise she will sleep for 4+ hrs. She wasnt checked for lip or tongue tie. And she didnt have jaundice in the hospital but at her dr app tuesday she was tested and was mild jaundice. I wish I could keep her skin to skin all day but I have three other kids. Ages 6, 2, and 1. So I dont know how I would hold a newborn all day with taking care of my other kids. Also she only nurses for 10min on one side. I have been having a hard time keeping her awake while feeding. She will nurse the 10 minutes then pop off and be completely out. I try waking her back uo and nothing. So I dont know if she would switch sides cause I cant keep her awake.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

It is harder for them to get milk out with the shield. And yes, she should still be doing 2 quarter sized poops each day. Wake her to nurse, switch sides during feedings. Was she checked for lip or tongue ties? Is she jaundiced? Undress her to her diaper, keep her in skin-to-skin contact with you even when she is not nursing, and offer the breast every time she wiggles. Keep us posted as to diaper count.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 12:47 AM
1 mom liked this
You'll have to be proactive here. A sling or wrap is a must since you have other children. Survival mode: easy-to-grab healthy snacks, disposable dishes and utensils. Do nothing not needed for the immediate feeding and relative hygiene of your family. Make a list of specific things DH can do to help.
TurtleMami
by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 2:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, the shield requires more time. I had to use it for almost two months; when I stopped he suddenly stopped nursing as much (about half the time he used to take) but he kept gaining weight. 

As for the poop, my guess is she's behind on schedule because of the whole milk thing. But now that your milk's come in, she should be back on track. Just give her a few days. Don't worry, she's getting all the milk she needs!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 29, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Quoting december_mama:

My daughter was born a week ago and nursing started out very rough. I nursed my third son for two month but it was very difficult for me. This time around we started off nursing with a great latch. But I could not for the life of me get her to eat. No matter what I tried she just refused to latch.
Mine did that for the first two weeks.
I did not give into formula cause I was determined to ebf. So we just kept at it. When we left the hospital two days after she was born she was down 6oz from her birth weight but of course thats normal for newborns to lose some weight. We got home sunday the 24th and on tuesday the 26th we had a newborn check at the doctors office. She had dropped another 5oz.
Which may be normal, depending on where she started and the type of delivery. Vaginal births, look for 10% weight loss. C-section, around 12%.
Dr said to give my milk a chance to come in and we will re weigh her next week. My milk was still not in yet and nursing was still tough but i still did not give into formula. We were still nursing and I put her to the breast as much as possible. She would only nurse at most 4min every 3 hours. So of course I was worried she wasnt getting enough because she only would have at most two wet diaper and no dirty ones a day.
That is low. And the first thing I think of is to look for ties. Many babies are born with a tongue or lip tie which makes nursing inefficient. A pediatric dentist or ENT or an IBCLC can diagnose this.
Yesterday (Wednesday the 27th) my milk finally came in full force. But when we came home she had a terrible latch and my nipples started cracking and nursing was painful. I used a nipple shield all day yesterday to give me a break. Well with my milk in and using the nipple shield she would nurse at least 20 minutes every 2-3 hours. Well today my nipples were much better so I took off the shield and really worked with her latch and today has been great with no pain when nursing.
OK, that sounds encouraging.
Ok so now my question. With the shield she would nurse at least 20 min but now that the shield is off she will only nurse between 5-10 minutes. Is that normal for babies to nurse longer with a shield? Is it harder for them to express the milk? I know she has been getting enough today because she has been having enough wet diaper today (no dirty) so im not worried she isnt getting the milk. I was just curious as to why today she is lessening her time at the breast. This is new for me.
It may only be coincidental. But shields can interfere with milk transference, so she may have to work longer and harder to get the same amount in 20 minutes with a shiled that she can get in ten minutes at the breast. Remember to smash your clocks; the only thing you count is diapers. 

I also have a question about diapers. Im pretty sure 6 wet diapers a day is great but what about dirty? Since being home she has pooped twice. Once on monday and it was still the black tar poop and then once yesterday which was still dark but it was now runny. Should I worry that she isnt pooping everyday? With my last baby he was pooping a few times a day by a week old and it was the yellow seedy poop.
2 quarter sized poops every 24 hours is what we want.
Sorry for this long post but I need help. I dont wanna give up especially since I worked out her latch and have not gave into supplementing when some people have told me to.

You need to see an Internationally Board Certified LActation Consultant, immediately. This link will help you find one: http://www.ilca.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3432

The lack of poopy diapers is a big red flag. Call TODAY.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN