Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Baby latches but doesn't suck

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 12:30 AM
  • 12 Replies
I posted earlier about my sister and her new baby. She's ended up giving baby 20 cc of formula with a syringe so they would let her go home.

They are home now. She is attempting to feed him every 1-2 hours. Baby latches, but doesn't suck. He just lays there. She really suspects nurses gave him bottle because he will suck a nipple from a bottle (with no formula) but not on her breast. She then pumps 10-15 mins after each attempt (has not gotten anything yet, but told her that doesnt mean she doesn't have anything).

She also has very flat nipples, which I know she can still nurse because that's how mine were with my first.

Can she use a feeding tube attached to her breast with syringe? Also, I am currently nursing my third. Can I pump and let her supplement with my breastmilk?

Thanks ladies!
by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 12:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LadyBugMom09
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Bump
LadyBugMom09
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Bump :)
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 30, 2013 at 12:53 AM

ANYONE can use a supplemental nursing system (what you've described above). Even dads! It's precisely what I would do in her case.

I would also get in bed, top off abd leave baby lying near the breats. Clocks smashed please.

LadyBugMom09
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 1:05 AM
Can she supplement with my breastmilk? I have a 2 month old.

Quoting gdiamante:

ANYONE can use a supplemental nursing system (what you've described above). Even dads! It's precisely what I would do in her case.

I would also get in bed, top off abd leave baby lying near the breats. Clocks smashed please.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 1:12 AM
You definitely can, but obviously her own milk would be best.

Quoting LadyBugMom09:

Quoting gdiamante:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadyBugMom09
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 1:23 AM
Thank you! Definitely I want her to give her milk to baby, but if she must suoplement i would definitely love being able to give her my milk. :)

I just want to encourage her to keep going. Thanks again!

Quoting polkaspots:

Quoting LadyBugMom09:

Quoting gdiamante:

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 1:32 AM
No problem. I don't think it will take very long at all for her to get baby back to breast if she's persistent with it.

Quoting LadyBugMom09:

Thank you! Definitely I want her to give her milk to baby, but if she must suoplement i would definitely love being able to give her my milk. :)

Quoting polkaspots:

Quoting LadyBugMom09:

Quoting gdiamante:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 30, 2013 at 1:33 AM

If she needs to supplement it's best she does it with her own milk, getting on the pump every two hours. If she doesn't, she may never get a good supply going.

LadyBugMom09
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 1:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you so much for that. :)

Quoting polkaspots:

No problem. I don't think it will take very long at all for her to get baby back to breast if she's persistent with it.

Quoting LadyBugMom09:

Quoting polkaspots:

Quoting LadyBugMom09:

Quoting gdiamante:

LadyBugMom09
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 1:40 AM
She has been pumping every two hours, but hasn't gotten a drop yet. :( So I'm going to let her use some of my expressed milk.

Quoting gdiamante:

If she needs to supplement it's best she does it with her own milk, getting on the pump every two hours. If she doesn't, she may never get a good supply going.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)