Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I can't do this anymore!

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 8:23 AM
  • 64 Replies
I am hurting so bad on the right side...which is the only side she will latch onto! My nipple is split in half from her latch and I have this red area on my breast that I have no idea why its there! She will only latch onto the left side with a sheild and that isn't something that is easy to use in public! But it doesn't hurt too bad to pump! So I am going to switch to EPing instead! I feel like we will both be happier in the long run! And she will still get breastmilk! :)
by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 8:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
boolie79
by Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 8:32 AM
Red patch?? Have you been to dr? Possibly mastitis? That's hard to deal with but if that's the case once it's cleared you both will be happy. As for the nipple did you get lansinoh?? Exclusive pumping is better than formula but I would say don't give up til you find out is you have a clogged duct or mastitis. Dangle nursing (dangle boob over baby) may help relieve. Just some thoughts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aGracexo
by Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Have you seen a lactation consultant?

khrystina_marie
by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 8:40 AM
what is mastitis? And it doesn't hurt or anything its just there! And I have only talked to a BFPC(breastfeeding peer counseler) idk if we have a LC here or not! And I have tried EVERY hold I can other than standing on my head!!

Quoting boolie79: Red patch?? Have you been to dr? Possibly mastitis? That's hard to deal with but if that's the case once it's cleared you both will be happy. As for the nipple did you get lansinoh?? Exclusive pumping is better than formula but I would say don't give up til you find out is you have a clogged duct or mastitis. Dangle nursing (dangle boob over baby) may help relieve. Just some thoughts.
kman88
by Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I EP and have been for 3 months...if you have any questions feel free to PM. 

khrystina_marie
by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 8:46 AM
awesome! It just seems like the best way to me bc herlatch is wrong bc she tries to suck before the nipple is in her mouth and I can only,easily, feed in public on my really sore side! I look at it as I can get help this way too lol! And she will still have my milk! :)

Quoting kman88:

kman88
by Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 8:53 AM

My DD had horrible issues latching to begin with.. the first night home from the hosptial she screamed for 5 hours straight bc she was hungry but she wouldnt/couldnt latch. I tried ever position possible. I finally gave in and gave her a bottle of formula. The next day I got a pump and have been EPing ever since. It works out great for us and is much easier then people make it out to be.

Quoting khrystina_marie: awesome! It just seems like the best way to me bc herlatch is wrong bc she tries to suck before the nipple is in her mouth and I can only,easily, feed in public on my really sore side! I look at it as I can get help this way too lol! And she will still have my milk! :)

Quoting kman88:

khrystina_marie
by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 8:56 AM
I already have quite a few bags of milk frozen to help start it too :) just not sure all the "rules" and such of storage, thawing and warming!

Quoting kman88:

My DD had horrible issues latching to begin with.. the first night home from the hosptial she screamed for 5 hours straight bc she was hungry but she wouldnt/couldnt latch. I tried ever position possible. I finally gave in and gave her a bottle of formula. The next day I got a pump and have been EPing ever since. It works out great for us and is much easier then people make it out to be.

Quoting khrystina_marie: awesome! It just seems like the best way to me bc herlatch is wrong bc she tries to suck before the nipple is in her mouth and I can only,easily, feed in public on my really sore side! I look at it as I can get help this way too lol! And she will still have my milk! :)

Quoting kman88:

shortyali
by Alicia on Dec. 6, 2013 at 9:00 AM
Any other symptoms? Fever, chills, any other flu like symptoms? If yes to any of that call your dr ASAP. You also need to keep moving the milk in that breast. Either nurse baby like crazy or pump like crazy. If nursing the best thing to do is lay baby in floor or bed and get on all 4's over baby and nurse that way. This way not only is baby working the boob but gravity is helping too.

Quoting khrystina_marie: what is mastitis? And it doesn't hurt or anything its just there! And I have only talked to a BFPC(breastfeeding peer counseler) idk if we have a LC here or not! And I have tried EVERY hold I can other than standing on my head!!

Quoting boolie79: Red patch?? Have you been to dr? Possibly mastitis? That's hard to deal with but if that's the case once it's cleared you both will be happy. As for the nipple did you get lansinoh?? Exclusive pumping is better than formula but I would say don't give up til you find out is you have a clogged duct or mastitis. Dangle nursing (dangle boob over baby) may help relieve. Just some thoughts.
khrystina_marie
by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 9:05 AM
I am sick! I have been for like 3 days now! I took a pic of the red spot last night so I could talk to the bf counseler about it monday but I cannot handle the pain of her latch on that side anymore!

Quoting shortyali: Any other symptoms? Fever, chills, any other flu like symptoms? If yes to any of that call your dr ASAP. You also need to keep moving the milk in that breast. Either nurse baby like crazy or pump like crazy. If nursing the best thing to do is lay baby in floor or bed and get on all 4's over baby and nurse that way. This way not only is baby working the boob but gravity is helping too.

Quoting khrystina_marie: what is mastitis? And it doesn't hurt or anything its just there! And I have only talked to a BFPC(breastfeeding peer counseler) idk if we have a LC here or not! And I have tried EVERY hold I can other than standing on my head!!

Analugojana
by Christine on Dec. 6, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Has the baby been seen for a tongue tie or a lip tie? You need a IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant) to assess her. It is NOT normal to hurt this bad.
Pumping is harder in the long run. You need to carry the pump around, find a place to pump if not at home, pump religiously every 2 hours. Most moms also see a supply decrease with pumping and many have to supplement. If corrected, bf from the tap is way easier: lift top, latch, ley baby do her thing. No bottles, no timing, no finding an outlet or remembering to take the pump.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)