Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Ruined friendship over Breastfeeding?

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 1:51 AM
  • 18 Replies

When my son was about 18 months old I met gal through mutual friend. We instantly clicked always chatting online and soon calling each other. She was into all the same things as I. They same things that none of my other friends had in common with me very natural and even nerdy. When we met she was super supportive of my breastfeeding my son. She little babies herself but she could manage to nurse because of latch issues. She actually pumped for the first year. Which I repeated praised her for. I pumped while working before and hated it so I think it's super amazing. Still when he turned 2 I must have mention weaning because even time we talked it was one of her first questions, "Is he weaning?" or "How the weaning going?" I thought I made it clear repeatedly that I was going to self wean and in no real hurry. But I overall started to avoid her cause if felt like she wouldn't let it go. I feel bad now cause we barely talk and she's moved now too. I don't want to lose a friend but I'm not sure how to start it up again.  Anyone else had an issue like this? 

by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 1:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Dec. 7, 2013 at 2:01 AM
Hmmmm, I haven't, but maybe just call her up and say you were thinking of her and ask how she is doing and see how it goes.
RVTMommy
by Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 2:04 AM
I don't think I'd end a friendship over something like that. I'd just keep answering the question "nope we aren't weaning yet" and change the subject. Or hell, just lie and say "working on it". It's really not her business so you shouldn't have to explain a thing....
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Dec. 7, 2013 at 3:00 AM
Yeah what they said^^^ People kept asking me when we were weaning, eventually they just got tired of asking! ;-)

I always just say he'll let me know when he is ready. :-)
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Dec. 7, 2013 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I do tend to avoid people that keep asking about weaning my seventeen month old. The list includes my parents, my sister, my cousin, my grandparents, my dh's aunt.... it's pretty depressing but iI'm tired of hear "tips" to get him to sleep (shove him full of rice cereal at almost eighteen months), and people asking how I will "break this habit", and the "please don't nurse until preschool!" Comments. I'm happier without all of that.
hip2it
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this
My bestie asked yesterday if I'm gonna be one of those moms breastfeeding my four year old. I'm like I'm just trying to make it through today. Idk what I'll be doing years from now. I don't have a lot of friends but the few I have are supportive even if they disagree regardless of the topic.
beebar
by Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 12:07 PM
I would just veer away from the subject and just call her and check in and if she does ask just say that it's not a topic you choose to discuss. It doesn't have to be out rudely but it will make the questions stop for you hopefully.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Dec. 7, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Weaning started the moment solids were introduced anyway. If you want to give her a call to see how things are going, you can honestly say you're still working on it IF she brings it up. She may never do so.

You may also find she doesn't spend much time on the phone with you, since she's moved.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Dec. 7, 2013 at 5:14 PM
I agree.

Quoting gdiamante:

Weaning started the moment solids were introduced anyway. If you want to give her a call to see how things are going, you can honestly say you're still working on it IF she brings it up. She may never do so.

You may also find she doesn't spend much time on the phone with you, since she's moved.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Dec. 7, 2013 at 7:39 PM
1 mom liked this

MY friend and I lost touch for almost 2 years and one day she just called me up(I had no way to contact her) and we were as close as ever like time never passed.  I lost her suddenly a few years later and I am so thankful for the time we had tother..contact her

Smokeygirl
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 8:14 PM
I have a strained relationship with one of my best friends because of comments like "no offense, but I think breastfeeding is disgusting". Heck yeah that's offensive! It has changed how I talk to her and I feel guarded now. I also am trying to avoid talking about nursing with my mom, tired of the weaning comments there too. Good luck, I'd try calling and go from there.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)