Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Sudden drop in supply?

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 6:21 AM
mel
  • 20 Replies
What the heck is going on? My only guess is that I may have ovulated for the first time on the 25th. But I never had this big a dip before during af. Ellie is 20mo
I have oal. however I've not had any spraying/soaking through shirts/needing breast pads the last week or so. And this was a constant problem 1-2 weeks ago
I went 5/6hrs without nursing her thursday and wasnt the slightest bit uncomfortable or firm. When she nursed no oal either. 1-2 weeks ago this would have been engorgment and likely would have leaked through my shirt since I forgot my pads.
She typically nurses 3-5 times a night and needs to be changed from a "about to explode" diaper around 4a. If she nurses more then that im to tired to know whats going on so I foget to apply pressure to the opposite side and end up in a puddle. The last week shes nursed ALL night, at least 10 times, with cluster feeding straight from 4-630a and is barely wet when she wakes up.
Her diaper count is about a 3-4. It was a 5-7. Shes nursing still every 2ish throughout the day and drinks 4-6oz water, which shes been asking for lately.
In theory the oal disappearing is great but the significant dip in supply so suddenly has me confused!
In the last month or so I've been on steroid pills, 3 different steroid creams (at different times), antibiotics, zyrtex daily, steroid injection, celexa and ativan. Any combo of these causing issues? Currently on the last 4.
I do have some stress but in the 4yrs of nursing I've been through alot worse stress then right now!
by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 6:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 7, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Only thing I can think of is the zyrtec?
I'm starting fenugreek today
PoodleMum
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 2:47 PM
I think regular Zyrtec might be ok, but I can't remember exactly. Do they have a Zyrtec D with the decongestant? That would be a problem

Eta: Zyrtec is ok according to Kellymom, but of course you might be sensitive. I'd still pee on a stick though lol
Quoting melindabelcher: Only thing I can think of is the zyrtec?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 7, 2013 at 2:49 PM
There is a D version but I don't think I got that one.

Quoting PoodleMum: I think regular Zyrtec might be ok, but I can't remember exactly. Do they have a Zyrtec D with the decongestant? That would be a problem

PoodleMum
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Added to my reply :)

Quoting melindabelcher: There is a D version but I don't think I got that one.

Quoting PoodleMum: I think regular Zyrtec might be ok, but I can't remember exactly. Do they have a Zyrtec D with the decongestant? That would be a problem

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Dec. 7, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Only the zyrtec is a supply concern. Could you be pregnant?

melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 7, 2013 at 4:14 PM
The chances are super extremely small.
If I ovulated (i had light spotting and egg white mucous on the 25th) it would have been the first pp ovulation but the cervical mucous didn't dry up in time to signify ovulation. So my app says no ovulation yet. No other signs of pregnancy (no nipple/breast pain, no darkened nipples, no.nausea. So if theoretically it was hormonal enough for a dip in supply I should have other symptoms?)
I didn't take the zyrtec today. I'm not starting it again for a few days to see if there is a difference.
a mom has some fenugreek tincture I'm going to start tonight.

Quoting gdiamante:

Only the zyrtec is a supply concern. Could you be pregnant?

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Dec. 7, 2013 at 5:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm thinking it could be that your supply is finally regulating. I think that was around the time that I finally didn't need to wear nursing pads anymore with Johnathan. I don't remember the exact time since it was so long ago. 😉
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Dec. 7, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I agree regulation momma..I got it sooner.  I could go all day at work without any issues right after a year

Quoting aehanrahan: I'm thinking it could be that your supply is finally regulating. I think that was around the time that I finally didn't need to wear nursing pads anymore with Johnathan. I don't remember the exact time since it was so long ago. 😉

melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 8, 2013 at 7:03 AM
Good to know. With leilani I didn't lose the oal until I got pregnant with ellie and lost my supply. But definetly not currently prego.
I haven't taken the zyrtec in almost 48hrs and my letdowns feel stronger and her diaper was soaking wet this am.
Now I'm afraid of zyrtec lol
I'll just have to wait and see.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

I agree regulation momma..I got it sooner.  I could go all day at work without any issues right after a year

Quoting aehanrahan: I'm thinking it could be that your supply is finally regulating. I think that was around the time that I finally didn't need to wear nursing pads anymore with Johnathan. I don't remember the exact time since it was so long ago. 😉

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Dec. 8, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Zyrtec shouldn't cause a dip in supply.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN