Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Ds might have herpes. (Went in to Ped)

Posted by   + Show Post
Brought him into the er last night because he's had a fever for the past few days, he's been miserable, and he had what looked like an infection on his gum. Doc says it's viral and most likely herpes and told me to wean him to prevent the spread between him and ds2 who is due on the fifteenth. We're going to take him to the doctor for bloodwork to find out for sure, but idk what to do now. The er doctor sucked at communicating. I kept trying to ask him questions about what to do, but I got nothing. Any advice? Ds is taking antivirals but the thing we brought him to the er for in the first place isn't even being treated. The doc said it's a tooth coming out. It looks like a nasty infection in his gum.

Update. So his Ped says he won't do bloodwork to verify what it is. But to continue nursing as normal and when the baby is born I should wash in between babies. And he called in a prescription for amoxicillin in case the thing on his gums doesn't get better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Replies (31-40):
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Dec. 7, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Coxsackie is hand, foot, mouth disease. That's what I was wondering about, too. Geez, could the ER doc have panicked more with the herpes diagnosis?

Quoting polkaspots: No these look more like blisters than scabs. Coxsackie. I finally found it online. He has a tiny one on each lip, one underneath his lip and what looks like an infected tooth but is probably just his gums being swollen and a tooth coming in.

Quoting IrishIz: Impetigo?

Quoting polkaspots: The er doctor thought it was herpes because the sores on his lips look like herpes. And he was vomiting and had a fever, which are symptoms of oral herpes. His Ped doesn't think it's herpes though, he said it was something else I can't spell or pronounce.

Quoting IrishIz: Wait a minute...

What makes him think he has herpes?
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 9:48 PM
Because the sores are only on his mouth and the rest of his symptoms fit herpes it makes complete sense. He had one on each lip and one underneath his bottom lip as well as what looked like an infection on his top gum. He had a very mild fever for a few days and was gagging and vomiting occasionally. Then we saw the gum thing and took him to the er and I thought it was an infection, which explained the same symptoms as herpes.

Quoting mostlymaydays: Coxsackie is hand, foot, mouth disease. That's what I was wondering about, too. Geez, could the ER doc have panicked more with the herpes diagnosis?

Quoting polkaspots: No these look more like blisters than scabs. Coxsackie. I finally found it online. He has a tiny one on each lip, one underneath his lip and what looks like an infected tooth but is probably just his gums being swollen and a tooth coming in.

Quoting polkaspots: The er doctor thought it was herpes because the sores on his lips look like herpes. And he was vomiting and had a fever, which are symptoms of oral herpes. His Ped doesn't think it's herpes though, he said it was something else I can't spell or pronounce.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kajira
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 10:05 PM
If your dr's not concerned, then you shouldn't be. Glad he reassured you.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 10:10 PM
I'm not anymore, I was mostly concerned because of how many more questions I had when I left than when we walked in. Hopefully his symptoms will go away soon because I can't imagine dealing with the way he's been acting and a newborn. He's truly been nursing constantly and upset all of the time.

Quoting kajira: If your dr's not concerned, then you shouldn't be. Glad he reassured you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IrishIz
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 10:25 PM
2 moms liked this
That would have been my second choice! Lol

When you said ER doc said herpes I think I actually slapped my forehead.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 10:50 PM
I have no experience with herpes as I've never even had a cold sore, but when I got home and looked it up, the symptoms fit. The Ped is the one who thinks it's coxsackie, and that fits too. I'm actually a bit concerned now about my diapers. I was planning on having the baby share prefolds with ds since he won't fit into the pockets.

Quoting IrishIz: That would have been my second choice! Lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IrishIz
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 11:05 PM
It really is just more likely to be Coxsackie. Unless somebody he's around has cold sores....I wouldn't worry much about it. Coxsackie is a virus that will run its course and be done. I missed his belly wasn't feeling so good in the earlier posts...very likely normal kid virus.

Quoting polkaspots: I have no experience with herpes as I've never even had a cold sore, but when I got home and looked it up, the symptoms fit. The Ped is the one who thinks it's coxsackie, and that fits too. I'm actually a bit concerned now about my diapers. I was planning on having the baby share prefolds with ds since he won't fit into the pockets.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 11:13 PM
I'm not really worried about it anymore, I was only worried because we had no idea what it was. Now the big issue is that he's still miserable all of the time. He's thrown tantrums before, but he's laying down on the floor crying so many times a day and really only content when he's being held.

Quoting IrishIz: It really is just more likely to be Coxsackie. Unless somebody he's around has cold sores....I wouldn't worry much about it. Coxsackie is a virus that will run its course and be done. I missed his belly wasn't feeling so good in the earlier posts...very likely normal kid virus.

Quoting polkaspots: I have no experience with herpes as I've never even had a cold sore, but when I got home and looked it up, the symptoms fit. The Ped is the one who thinks it's coxsackie, and that fits too. I'm actually a bit concerned now about my diapers. I was planning on having the baby share prefolds with ds since he won't fit into the pockets.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Tri Iodine 7 - 7% iodine tincture. 

http://www.heartlandvetsupply.com/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=4424&SEName=triodine-7-triple-source-iodine-tincture&gclid=CLPK7uXkn7sCFdBlOgodLjIArA

Quoting polkaspots: I don't know. I've been looking it up online and I can't find anything definitive. I actually asked the doc both of those questions. The example I used was if it was thrush, I'd use vinegar. I asked if there was something similar. I could do one breast each, I would be nervous about it though since one would be a brand newborn and the other a 22 month old...

Quoting melindabelcher: Oh no :(

Would designating one breast per kiddo work? Is there any kind of wash that you could use after he nurses to kill the infection.

Cleo07
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 11:46 PM
I'm glad to hear that you are reassured. Herpes simplex 1 is likely contaminating most public surfaces as people shed the virus even when they don't have outbreak.

As far as coxsackie virus (hand, foot and mouth), you would see a rash on either the palms or soles of the foot. It is a very specific marker. Look for even a super tiny dot to confirm. Usually the ulcers are on the back of the throat and tongue as opposed to the lips so I agree with you that it sounds like HSV.

Primary herpes infections usually are a few days of fever and general viral symptoms. Hoping all the nursing doesn't hasten labor:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN