Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Ds might have herpes. (Went in to Ped)

Posted by   + Show Post
Brought him into the er last night because he's had a fever for the past few days, he's been miserable, and he had what looked like an infection on his gum. Doc says it's viral and most likely herpes and told me to wean him to prevent the spread between him and ds2 who is due on the fifteenth. We're going to take him to the doctor for bloodwork to find out for sure, but idk what to do now. The er doctor sucked at communicating. I kept trying to ask him questions about what to do, but I got nothing. Any advice? Ds is taking antivirals but the thing we brought him to the er for in the first place isn't even being treated. The doc said it's a tooth coming out. It looks like a nasty infection in his gum.

Update. So his Ped says he won't do bloodwork to verify what it is. But to continue nursing as normal and when the baby is born I should wash in between babies. And he called in a prescription for amoxicillin in case the thing on his gums doesn't get better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Replies (41-50):
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Dec. 7, 2013 at 11:50 PM
We had that, its a herpes virus like hands foot mouth, but just in the mouth. They gave us antiviral and i continued to nurse.

Quoting polkaspots: Because the sores are only on his mouth and the rest of his symptoms fit herpes it makes complete sense. He had one on each lip and one underneath his bottom lip as well as what looked like an infection on his top gum. He had a very mild fever for a few days and was gagging and vomiting occasionally. Then we saw the gum thing and took him to the er and I thought it was an infection, which explained the same symptoms as herpes.

Quoting mostlymaydays: Coxsackie is hand, foot, mouth disease. That's what I was wondering about, too. Geez, could the ER doc have panicked more with the herpes diagnosis?

Quoting polkaspots: No these look more like blisters than scabs. Coxsackie. I finally found it online. He has a tiny one on each lip, one underneath his lip and what looks like an infected tooth but is probably just his gums being swollen and a tooth coming in.

Quoting IrishIz: Impetigo?

Quoting polkaspots: The er doctor thought it was herpes because the sores on his lips look like herpes. And he was vomiting and had a fever, which are symptoms of oral herpes. His Ped doesn't think it's herpes though, he said it was something else I can't spell or pronounce.

Quoting IrishIz: Wait a minute...

What makes him think he has herpes?
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 11:54 PM
He gave us the antivirals too. My concern wasn't me getting it since I'm almost definitely exposed to whatever he's exposed to, my concern was for the baby that's due in a week. Herpes can cause lots of issues in a newborn. I feel a lot better today about it after taking him to our usual doctor.

Quoting Precious333: We had that, its a herpes virus like hands foot mouth, but just in the mouth. They gave us antiviral and i continued to nurse.

Quoting polkaspots: Because the sores are only on his mouth and the rest of his symptoms fit herpes it makes complete sense. He had one on each lip and one underneath his bottom lip as well as what looked like an infection on his top gum. He had a very mild fever for a few days and was gagging and vomiting occasionally. Then we saw the gum thing and took him to the er and I thought it was an infection, which explained the same symptoms as herpes.

Quoting mostlymaydays: Coxsackie is hand, foot, mouth disease. That's what I was wondering about, too. Geez, could the ER doc have panicked more with the herpes diagnosis?

Quoting polkaspots: No these look more like blisters than scabs. Coxsackie. I finally found it online. He has a tiny one on each lip, one underneath his lip and what looks like an infected tooth but is probably just his gums being swollen and a tooth coming in.

Quoting polkaspots: The er doctor thought it was herpes because the sores on his lips look like herpes. And he was vomiting and had a fever, which are symptoms of oral herpes. His Ped doesn't think it's herpes though, he said it was something else I can't spell or pronounce.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Dec. 8, 2013 at 12:16 AM
1 mom liked this
Good :)

Quoting polkaspots: He gave us the antivirals too. My concern wasn't me getting it since I'm almost definitely exposed to whatever he's exposed to, my concern was for the baby that's due in a week. Herpes can cause lots of issues in a newborn. I feel a lot better today about it after taking him to our usual doctor.

Quoting Precious333: We had that, its a herpes virus like hands foot mouth, but just in the mouth. They gave us antiviral and i continued to nurse.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:13 AM
But for a very young child there were a half dozen more logical guesses.

djscinnabun
by on Dec. 8, 2013 at 9:46 AM
My 6y/o dd contracted a form of it from an unknown source as a toddler so a few times a year she has a breakout in and around her mouth... it's been called several things from herpes to stomatitis to impetigo, but its all very similar. Regardless, the biggest concern is to avoid cross contamination, even when your l/o gets older (washing hands, no kisses or sharing food when you have a boo boo, etc.) for now, washing in between should do the trick. Later, warm or room temperature lemonade helps dry out the sores and heal them when they crop up. It sounds worse than it really is, mama. Message me any time if you want or need to compare notes!
Corinnesingh
by on Dec. 8, 2013 at 1:16 PM

this is what i was thinking... assigned boobies! that will be so hard if you have to start weaning and neither of you are ready.

Quoting melindabelcher: Oh no :(
Would designating one breast per kiddo work? Is there any kind of wash that you could use after he nurses to kill the infection.

CafeMom Tickers
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 1:30 PM
I've been having more contractions, but only during nursing sessions. His hands and feet and diaper are have been checked by two nurses and three doctors in the past few days and there is nothing there, just his lips and possibly his gums (since nobody seems to know what that actually is)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 1:31 PM
I didn't know any of them though. I was told most likely herpes so I looked up herpes and the symptoms matched.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 1:33 PM
Thanks. I can easily prevent the spread between my older kids, they already don't share cups and I usually give them separate snack bowls.
I had never heard of lemonade before, I have to write that down so I don't forget.

Quoting djscinnabun: My 6y/o dd contracted a form of it from an unknown source as a toddler so a few times a year she has a breakout in and around her mouth... it's been called several things from herpes to stomatitis to impetigo, but its all very similar. Regardless, the biggest concern is to avoid cross contamination, even when your l/o gets older (washing hands, no kisses or sharing food when you have a boo boo, etc.) for now, washing in between should do the trick. Later, warm or room temperature lemonade helps dry out the sores and heal them when they crop up. It sounds worse than it really is, mama. Message me any time if you want or need to compare notes!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Physically I would be fine with it, since I'm about to have a newborn. I wouldn't have the cold turkey weaning symptoms, but ds is nursing so many times a day and not even sleeping well for more than ten to fifteen minutes at a time. He's really upset at night, that's when it's worst. He just lays down and cries and doesn't want to be held or comforted.

Quoting Corinnesingh:

this is what i was thinking... assigned boobies! that will be so hard if you have to start weaning and neither of you are ready.

Quoting melindabelcher: Oh no :(
Would designating one breast per kiddo work? Is there any kind of wash that you could use after he nurses to kill the infection.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN