Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Ds might have herpes. (Went in to Ped)

Posted by   + Show Post
Brought him into the er last night because he's had a fever for the past few days, he's been miserable, and he had what looked like an infection on his gum. Doc says it's viral and most likely herpes and told me to wean him to prevent the spread between him and ds2 who is due on the fifteenth. We're going to take him to the doctor for bloodwork to find out for sure, but idk what to do now. The er doctor sucked at communicating. I kept trying to ask him questions about what to do, but I got nothing. Any advice? Ds is taking antivirals but the thing we brought him to the er for in the first place isn't even being treated. The doc said it's a tooth coming out. It looks like a nasty infection in his gum.

Update. So his Ped says he won't do bloodwork to verify what it is. But to continue nursing as normal and when the baby is born I should wash in between babies. And he called in a prescription for amoxicillin in case the thing on his gums doesn't get better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Replies (51-60):
melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 8, 2013 at 1:42 PM
kind of frustrated that drs wouldn't test to see what the blood work says for a diagnosis :/
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 1:50 PM
He says it isn't worth it because there aren't any quick tests. It's it's coxsackie then it makes sense because it will go away, but herpes stays with him, right? So wouldn't it be worth it to know?

Quoting melindabelcher: kind of frustrated that drs wouldn't test to see what the blood work says for a diagnosis :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Corinnesingh
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 2:04 PM

im sorry mamma.. i hope it gets better soon for you and him soon.

Quoting polkaspots: Physically I would be fine with it, since I'm about to have a newborn. I wouldn't have the cold turkey weaning symptoms, but ds is nursing so many times a day and not even sleeping well for more than ten to fifteen minutes at a time. He's really upset at night, that's when it's worst. He just lays down and cries and doesn't want to be held or comforted.

Quoting Corinnesingh:

this is what i was thinking... assigned boobies! that will be so hard if you have to start weaning and neither of you are ready.

Quoting melindabelcher: Oh no :(
Would designating one breast per kiddo work? Is there any kind of wash that you could use after he nurses to kill the infection.

CafeMom Tickers
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 2:10 PM
Thanks. DH has been home so it's been a lot easier than it would be without him.

Quoting Corinnesingh:

im sorry mamma.. i hope it gets better soon for you and him soon.

Quoting polkaspots: Physically I would be fine with it, since I'm about to have a newborn. I wouldn't have the cold turkey weaning symptoms, but ds is nursing so many times a day and not even sleeping well for more than ten to fifteen minutes at a time. He's really upset at night, that's when it's worst. He just lays down and cries and doesn't want to be held or comforted.

Quoting Corinnesingh:

this is what i was thinking... assigned boobies! that will be so hard if you have to start weaning and neither of you are ready.

Quoting melindabelcher: Oh no :(
Would designating one breast per kiddo work? Is there any kind of wash that you could use after he nurses to kill the infection.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 8, 2013 at 2:16 PM
Thats what I would think!

Quoting polkaspots: He says it isn't worth it because there aren't any quick tests. It's it's coxsackie then it makes sense because it will go away, but herpes stays with him, right? So wouldn't it be worth it to know?

Quoting melindabelcher: kind of frustrated that drs wouldn't test to see what the blood work says for a diagnosis :/
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Dec. 8, 2013 at 2:17 PM
Yes. I think it would be worth it for the peace of mind.

Quoting polkaspots: He says it isn't worth it because there aren't any quick tests. It's it's coxsackie then it makes sense because it will go away, but herpes stays with him, right? So wouldn't it be worth it to know?

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Because the dude that does bloodwork wasn't even there we're going to wait until we go back to insist on having it done.

Quoting aehanrahan: Yes. I think it would be worth it for the peace of mind.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Dec. 8, 2013 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Good!

Quoting polkaspots: Because the dude that does bloodwork wasn't even there we're going to wait until we go back to insist on having it done.

Quoting aehanrahan: Yes. I think it would be worth it for the peace of mind.

mrsspurlockk
by on Dec. 8, 2013 at 2:55 PM
Herpes is a virus, meaning it is spread through bodily fluids. A breastfeed baby would obviously have a high chance of contracting herpes if the parent(s) has it. I'm surprised at how flabbergasted people are. It's not some crazy mystery that this infant may have oral herpes.

Quoting beethann:

Quoting polkaspots: Oral herpes is extremely common in kids, most people are exposed to it by the time they reach adulthood. But I did get a second opinion, I went to his pediatrician today who thinks it's not herpes but wants us to continue the antiviral just in case.

It's the herpes that causes cold sores, not the genital kind.

Quoting beethann:

how would your ds have gotten herpes at such a young age?

I would get a second opinion!

oh I know all that. I have just never heard of a baby getting oral herpes. I would think it would be extremly rare. I'm glad you got a second opinion though.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 3:01 PM
I've never had a cold sore, DH's lip splits in the cold weather and gets infected but I don't think they're cold sores. It is kind of weird that people are shocked since kids are mostly the ones that spread oral herpes. Most people already have it by adulthood. Idk if I have it, but I might.

Quoting mrsspurlockk: Herpes is a virus, meaning it is spread through bodily fluids. A breastfeed baby would obviously have a high chance of contracting herpes if the parent(s) has it. I'm surprised at how flabbergasted people are. It's not some crazy mystery that this infant may have oral herpes.

Quoting beethann:

Quoting polkaspots: Oral herpes is extremely common in kids, most people are exposed to it by the time they reach adulthood. But I did get a second opinion, I went to his pediatrician today who thinks it's not herpes but wants us to continue the antiviral just in case.

It's the herpes that causes cold sores, not the genital kind.

Quoting beethann:

how would your ds have gotten herpes at such a young age?

I would get a second opinion!

oh I know all that. I have just never heard of a baby getting oral herpes. I would think it would be extremly rare. I'm glad you got a second opinion though.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)